When to let set

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickiedoodle, Jan 26, 2009.

1. chickiedoodle

chickiedoodle Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2008
    I have five or six chickens that seem to want to hatch eggs in a big way. I would like to let them hatch out a few clutches in the spring, but don't know how warm it needs to be before I let them. Right now, we freeze at night but daytime temps are in the 50s. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, I couldn't decided where to put it. [​IMG]

2. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    any time a hen will set on a set of eggs i would let her, because she will take care of there needs as far as temp till they can do it for them selfs, so let them

3. chickiedoodle

chickiedoodle Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2008
    Well, then I guess we will give it a try. I think I would want to separate them a bit--maybe put a small dog kennel in the house so they can see their friends but not be marauded. Is it okay to put a couple setting hens together?

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:That's what I intend to do. I'm going to purchase a small wire dog crate ahead of time so if I have a hen go broody I can tuck it into an unused part of the coop and move the hen, nest and all, to it.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree. Let mama hen do her thing. She will take good care of the babies.

6. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I've had two hens set a nest together. When the babies hatched, both mamas took care of them. It was marvelous, and so fun to watch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by