When to let the broody hens out?

queen620

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 10, 2012
Hi.
I have several questions here. This is the first time we've ever hatched eggs w/ a broody hen. We got 12 fertilized eggs from a friend. I think we did everything wrong possible. First off we had 2 broody hens in one area. We didn't really have an area so we used a "playpen yard" enclosure to section off part of our coop for the hens. We only did this after we realized other hens were still laying in the girls spot. We were having to sort fresh eggs from the fertilized eggs. So even w/ all the stuff I did wrong the hens still had 3 chicks hatch :) Now one hen has been removed from the area b/c we caught her pecking the chicks. So enough of my story here are my questions:
* how long till I let the broody hen & chicks out of the enclosure and into the rest of the coop/run/yard?
*I can move the pen outside to a grassy area-- should I move the whole thing and then bring it back in at night?
*how long do I leave the unhatched eggs under her? She is still hovering around the eggs. The first hatched 2 days ago.

Thanks for any help.

Back
Top Bottom