Broody Silkie Question

Fluffaloo

Chirping
Feb 20, 2023
Hi! I decided I want to add a few polish hens to my flock so I ordered some shipped hatching eggs (In the past I have had up to a 80% hatch rate but I know it depends). The eggs are supposed to be here within the next 5-8 days but I don't know exactly when yet. I have been tracking how often my silkies typically go broody and I knew it was supposed to be between now and the end of next week. Well Josephine, one of my silkies decided to go broody now.

Here is my question, If the shipped eggs arrive and are ready (sitting/resting for 24 hr and everything) in that 7ish day timeframe do you think that she will still be able to incubate them the entire time or do you think she is likely to give up? I have hatched all my previous eggs in an incubator so this is my first time trying with a broody hen.

How long can Silkies typically stay broody?

Hi! I decided I want to add a few polish hens to my flock so I ordered some shipped hatching eggs (In the past I have had up to a 80% hatch rate but I know it depends). The eggs are supposed to be here within the next 5-8 days but I don't know exactly when yet. I have been tracking how often my silkies typically go broody and I knew it was supposed to be between now and the end of next week. Well Josephine, one of my silkies decided to go broody now.

Here is my question, If the shipped eggs arrive and are ready (sitting/resting for 24 hr and everything) in that 7ish day timeframe do you think that she will still be able to incubate them the entire time or do you think she is likely to give up? I have hatched all my previous eggs in an incubator so this is my first time trying with a broody hen.

How long can Silkies typically stay broody?
Silkies stay broody usually about 3 weeks, sometime more.

When you get the eggs, leave them set in a carton, small side down, at room temp, to settle for 12-24 hours as they need to get their air sacks back in place. She'll start rolling them around to arrange them and they'll not get a chance to otherwise.

When ready, I'd put one at a time in front of her and she will pull it in under her.

First year chicken mom here. My first broody hen, a sweet Silkie. First 2 days thought she was egg bound; gave her warm epson baths. Day 3 gave her 3 warm fresh laid eggs. At 8 days pretty sure one of the standards pushed her out of nesting box, laid an egg then left. The broody silkie settled in a different nesting box with no eggs. By the time i realized what happened, the original 3 eggs we gave her were cold and abandoned, and I discarded them. Gave her a freshly laid egg to sit on. Then 3 days later she moved again.
Do I just let her brood with no eggs?
Do I give her fresh laid egg if she moves again? I don’t need more chicks but thought I’d let her do her thing.
She’s now almost 2 weeks in, will she give up at 3-ish weeks?

First year chicken mom here. My first broody hen, a sweet Silkie. First 2 days thought she was egg bound; gave her warm epson baths. Day 3 gave her 3 warm fresh laid eggs. At 8 days pretty sure one of the standards pushed her out of nesting box, laid an egg then left. The broody silkie settled in a different nesting box with no eggs. By the time i realized what happened, the original 3 eggs we gave her were cold and abandoned, and I discarded them. Gave her a freshly laid egg to sit on. Then 3 days later she moved again.
Do I just let her brood with no eggs?
Do I give her fresh laid egg if she moves again? I don’t need more chicks but thought I’d let her do her thing.
She’s now almost 2 weeks in, will she give up at 3-ish weeks?
Hi! You might get more replies with a new thread but I can at least leave my input. The first time my silkies went broody they remained that way for about a month and because they were eating and drinking properly I didn't break them. As for giving her eggs or not it really depends on if you want more chicks or not. As long as there is one pile of eggs they usually go back to their clutch after being kicked out and after the other hens do their thing. If you are worried about her not eating and such you can break her broodyness by separating her in a temporary cage/enclosure, giving her a car ride, or anything else you read or think of.

Update on my thread: She is still broody and we are 5 weeks in. However, my new batch of shipped eggs all had badly detached air cells so they didn't hatch. Knowing that the batch I had placed was originally supposed to hatch during this time I just bought some Silver Wyandotte chicks and put them under her instead. I got them from CAL ranch and one of them (Regetti) is missing her left eye and ear, like it never developed. Josephine the silkie loves them all the same though so I know she's happy. I ordered a new batch of polish for my other silkie to hatch which was also delayed (different seller too) and only one from that batch is developing (due to hatch next week). Im still learning as I go too lol

Hi! You might get more replies with a new thread but I can at least leave my input. The first time my silkies went broody they remained that way for about a month and because they were eating and drinking properly I didn't break them. As for giving her eggs or not it really depends on if you want more chicks or not. As long as there is one pile of eggs they usually go back to their clutch after being kicked out and after the other hens do their thing. If you are worried about her not eating and such you can break her broodyness by separating her in a temporary cage/enclosure, giving her a car ride, or anything else you read or think of.

Update on my thread: She is still broody and we are 5 weeks in. However, my new batch of shipped eggs all had badly detached air cells so they didn't hatch. Knowing that the batch I had placed was originally supposed to hatch during this time I just bought some Silver Wyandotte chicks and put them under her instead. I got them from CAL ranch and one of them (Regetti) is missing her left eye and ear, like it never developed. Josephine the silkie loves them all the same though so I know she's happy. I ordered a new batch of polish for my other silkie to hatch which was also delayed (different seller too) and only one from that batch is developing (due to hatch next week). Im still learning as I go too lol
Hey thanks. Good stuff. But Omgosh a month! Thankfully she’s eating okay, stretching her legs and getting a little fresh air every couple days.
Hmm, a car ride as possible breaking a broody hen. Hadn’t heard that one yet! I just don’t want break her spirit if nothing hatches.
Josephine sounds like a sweetheart and a good mamma.
Thanks again, looking forward to updates.

Hey thanks. Good stuff. But Omgosh a month! Thankfully she’s eating okay, stretching her legs and getting a little fresh air every couple days.
Hmm, a car ride as possible breaking a broody hen. Hadn’t heard that one yet! I just don’t want break her spirit if nothing hatches.
Josephine sounds like a sweetheart and a good mamma.
Thanks again, looking forward to updates.
Yep lol and it feels like they are broody forever! It sounds like she is doing good though. :) There are definitely a few interesting ways out there to break broody hens to say the least. I feel the same way though, I hate to let them sit on actual eggs knowing nothing will hatch. Thats why I at least try to break them or at least not give them any eggs to begin with so it wont be as hard them. It is exciting when they do hatch their own chicks though, I just love it. Josephine is a really good silkie, she doesn't try to attack or peck me when I check up on the chicks and she is friendly with people. Fingers crossed she might pass that behavior to the chicks lol

Back
Top Bottom