When to let young layers out to range

duckidaho

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 30, 2009
We've been keeping our 18 week old layers in the coop and run because they were laying all over the yard. So now we're getting eggs in the nestbox, but I would like them out to free-range. Do they usually lay during the day? Can I let them out late afternoon? How long before they "learn" to lay in their nestboxes and not under bushes? Thanks.

They are living animals and anything can happen. I cannot guarantee you anything related to their egg laying behavior. Hopefully I can help improve your odds.

Most, but not all, hens lay in the morning. Some will lay later in the day, but earlier is more normal. I've even seen posts of hens laying while roosting, but hopefully that is just a hen learning to lay. It is very unusual.

I think if you let them out late afternoon you will get practically all the eggs they lay, but it is always possible one will lay out in the yard. And while most may "learn" to lay in the nests, they can always change their mind and unlearn.

Chickens tend to like darker, confined, concealed places where they think they are hiding their nests from predators. They also like to lay where others are laying. If you have nests that meet their desires and keep fake eggs like golf balls or plastic eggs in the nests, you increase your odds of them laying in the nests, but no guarantees.

Strange, we tried fake wooden eggs from the craft store but the ladies just kick them out of the coop and around the run.?

Back
Top Bottom