When to mix a chicken treated for COCCIDIOSIS back with flock

HelenR

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2020
Hi I am hoping you can help me ? I have had a poorly chuck , the vet has treated her for COCCIDIOSIS for 3 days she looks so much better he did not say when I should put her back with the flock can anyone help me as she is lonely on her own , thank you

Last edited:
If the poorly chicken was with the rest of the flock when it had the coccidiosis, then the whole flock more than likely has it and should have been treated together.

If the poorly chicken was with the rest of the flock when it had the coccidiosis, then the whole flock more than likely has it and should have been treated together.
Thank u for replying, I have started to treat them, it’s in their water but they don’t seem to be drinking much , I was wondering if I should give it directly to them as I have been doing to the poorly chuck least I would know they have had the treatment, but as it it now in their water I am unsure if it’s ok to let this chuck back with them as that will mean she will have more of the treatment?? Vet not there til Monday to ask and this chuck is in the house and keeps getting stressed when hears the others

Thank u for replying, I have started to treat them, it’s in their water but they don’t seem to be drinking much , I was wondering if I should give it directly to them as I have been doing to the poorly chuck least I would know they have had the treatment, but as it it now in their water I am unsure if it’s ok to let this chuck back with them as that will mean she will have more of the treatment?? Vet not there til Monday to ask and this chuck is in the house and keeps getting stressed when hears the others
Coccidiosis is a parasite.... the Corid starves the parasites of essential vitamin b, which starves it. At this point you probably should keep that chicken separate since she’s already started treatment, and now you’re wanting to treat the others. Leave the water and make sure it is their only source of water so they definitely drink it. After they are treated for 5 days, then I would add the separated chicken back to the flock (to avoid overdose, you know what I’m saying)? Normally, you would just treat the whole flock together if you see symptoms from just one bird but since you’ve already separated and started treatment like I said, I would continue with that and treat the rest of the flock so by the time you put the separated chicken back everyone is back to fresh drinking water (preferably with a splash of ACV to hell restore the vitamin b that was starved out.
If you have a small dog crate, I would put her in that directly in the coop / run (making sure it is completely predator proof and protected from elements) with separate food and water so she can still be with them but not drink their medicated water.

Coccidiosis is a parasite.... the Corid starves the parasites of essential vitamin b, which starves it. At this point you probably should keep that chicken separate since she’s already started treatment, and now you’re wanting to treat the others. Leave the water and make sure it is their only source of water so they definitely drink it. After they are treated for 5 days, then I would add the separated chicken back to the flock (to avoid overdose, you know what I’m saying)? Normally, you would just treat the whole flock together if you see symptoms from just one bird but since you’ve already separated and started treatment like I said, I would continue with that and treat the rest of the flock so by the time you put the separated chicken back everyone is back to fresh drinking water (preferably with a splash of ACV to hell restore the vitamin b that was starved out.
If you have a small dog crate, I would put her in that directly in the coop / run (making sure it is completely predator proof and protected from elements) with separate food and water so she can still be with them but not drink their medicated water.
Thank u so much, it has been a little trauma as lost first chuck as vet thought it needed worming and that’s why it was off colour and blood in poo, then they thought she had meraks disease when she suddenly went really bad and died , so when this one started to be poorly 6 weeks later they thought again it might be meraks so wasn’t sure but gave me treatment for this parasite in case and only when she has picked up so quick have they said to do all the birds... only 3 left now as lost cockerel at start of year so I am no chuck farmer I’m afraid just pets . This is why I was wondering if I should treat each chuck separate with the syringe and then I know they have been done?? as they are avoiding the water and they wander round the garden as not penned so I keep checking no rain water anywhere the vet didn’t tell me to give anything after treatment I will need to order some in thanks again I have been so upset about them and vets don’t seem to know a lot round here

Back
Top Bottom