When to move 3 week old chicks into a coop

When did you move your chickens into a coop?

• 2-3 weeks

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • 3-5 weeks

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • 5-7 weeks

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • other

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters
Yes, we built a small coop on wheels so we could move them outside in the day time, we put screen on the top because they would fly out, never again, we will have to keep our chicks in the garage again for 12 weeks, so we can move them in with the full grown hens and roosters....

Wait one or two more weeks.

Do you have any other hens in the coop they will be put?

I would be cautious of the huddling together at night. If they aren't big enough then often they will all get together and suffocate their siblings. I know because I lost 8 out of 20 of mine last year.

OK that is good to know. I don't have any full-grown chickens..just the 27 chicks. I guess we will wait another week. Time to clean the brooder again, though! P-U!

Ok, so here's my question. I have 7 Red star chicks, 5 weeks old. I live on Cape Cod and right now it is about 40's in the day and at night down in the 30's. I really want to get them out of the house, but I think that it's too cold during the day still. So do you think I can put their heat lamp in there during the day and then bring them inside at night? Maybe that would be too much trouble since I have only 1 heat lamp. Hmmmm.... Help!

After some more thought, what if I keep the heat lamp on during the day, bring them inside at night, but leave the lamp out in the coop, and don't use it at night inside. Our house is about 68 F at night. How do you think that would work??

I have left mine outside now since Sunday night and they are only 4 weeks old. I live in central Florida and they have been fine every night. I did set up their heat lamp, if it gets below 60. I will turn it back on. They are doing great.

Hmmm. Ok, so maybe I'll try it. Right now I am waiting for the coop to be finished. My dad needs to work on the door and windows then it will be done. Yeah!

Back
Top Bottom