When to move chicks from brooder to coop?

LilRalphieRoosmama

Officially Quacked
12 Years
Oct 15, 2007
Elyria, OH
My chicks are almost two weeks old and outgrowing their box. The box is sitting in the empty coop that is waiting for them...so...

Can I let them have the run of the coop now? If they get cold, they'll go under the heat lamp, right?

Since you have a heatlamp in the coop for them, they should be just fine. They'll do much better with more room than being cramped up in the brooder box.

Hope this helps!

Dawn

I used hay when I moved my 3 week olds outside, as I was out of pine shavings, and they did just fine.

I'd go with whatever you have down on the floor already.

Dawn

yes you can let them have the run of their coop.an if they get cold they will go to the light.

I moved mine into the coop at exactly two weeks old - and they did just fine. I initially hung the brooder lamp in the midldle of the coop, but they really liked to huddle in a corner at first - for security I guess. So I ended up moving the lamp over to point to that corner and they seemed really happy with it. I only turned it on for them the first couple of nights, and then night temps only went down to around 70, so I stopped using it. They will be 5 weeks old and sometimes the temps go down to around 60 at night - and a couple times it's been high 50s - and the chicks have been just fine.

I started using pine chips in their brooder when they were 2 days old, so I just kept using pine chips when I moved them to the coop. I'm doing the deep litter method, so I just add pine chips to the top layer every 5 days or so.

My chicks LOVE being in the coop. Within a day of the move they were up to highest roost - and shortly after that I found them in the windows. Now they love to sit on my shoulders or head when I go in to visit. I think you and your chicks are going to be really happy when they get to the coop. So much easier to really visit with them when you can sit on the floor with them!

Penny

I can't wait to get home and move them. I want to PLAY with them, not just look down into a box!! So thank you all for helping me out with this one.

Cindy

Back
Top Bottom