When to move chicks outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mirandalola, Feb 2, 2017.

1. mirandalola

mirandalola Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2016
    NorthEast Texas, USA
    I know when to move them outside permanently, but I forgot how old they need to be before I introduce them to the outside yard.... I'm thinking something like a week old? Or is it just 3 or 4 days old?

I like taking them out to a pen in the same yard that the rest of the chickens run in, and let them stay for just an hour or so the first day, working up over several days to being out there for several hours a day, to finally just before I move them to the coop they're out there all day long. I know they can handle the coop when they can handle the outdoors all day long (with a box on its side for shelter), around 4-6 weeks depending on weather. I just don't remember how old they have to be before I move them out for that first time; this is my first time to get chicks from a hatchery, every time I've gotten chicks before they were already a week old when I got them.

2. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

I plan on having them in the coop from day one, it wil be in the forties at night when I get them.

Gary

Must. Finish. Coop.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  3. AllynTal

AllynTal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2014
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Mine are outside at a couple of days old. I brooder them in the coop and they're outside on the ground as soon as they can navigate the ramp. Until they're feathered out, as long as the weather is nice and they have a way to get warm if they get a chill, they'll be okay.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Depends on the weather conditions outside.
    Keep them dry and out of the wind.
    Go by their behaviors.

5. sheetmetaltom

sheetmetaltom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    mine will be 7 weeks old tomorrow, i moved them out to a coop today. separate from the rest of the flock. its going to be warm this week and they are all feathered so i thought it was a good time to get them out of the basement brooder and into the yard. put them in the coop for a couple of hours and everyone seemed happy, jumping on and off the perches. opened the door later and slowly everyone came out to explore there new surroundings. only a couple went in on there own, but usually more will learn what to do everyday and then i only have to go outside and close the door

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    As soon as they are stable legged walking they can be on grass if warm enough day and not too long of period. My broodies bring chicks out day 2 usually. They've regained strength from hatch and are ready to go. They peep loud and insistently (screech almost) if cold. Mommas just sit down and they run under her to warm up. If you hear it pick them up and get them back to warmth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by