1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when to move chicks outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by duckidaho, Jan 30, 2009.

1. duckidaho

duckidaho Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2009
    I live in Northern Idaho, I will be getting new chicks in March. I have a spot to brood them inside with heat etc. but when do I move them outside to the unheated coop. I have no feasable way to heat my coop - except maybe an emergency propane heater. No electric. How old should they be? Thanks, Russ

2. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    You want them to be fully feathered before you move them outside. Different breeds feather at different rates so there is no real "set in stone date". Also it depends on your outside temp and weather. Here in eastern NC it warms up pretty quick in the spring but it's also wet and damp which isn't good. Alot of times we just let the birds tell us what temp they want. We start at about 2 weeks raising the heat lamp and watch if they huddle under it or stay away from it. As long as they are milling around eating/drinking then the temp is right.

Steve in NC

3. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Chickens need to be moved outside? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by