when to move chicks outside

duckidaho

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 30, 2009
How long do I need to keep chicks inside before I move them out to an unheated coop. Fairly cool climate - maybe 35 degrees at night in March/April. My coop is over a 100 feet from the house so I don't think I can get an extension cord long enough to heat it. Thanks for the help. Russ

They need to be fully feathered out before you put them outside.
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif

Yes, i agree with everyone else.
I let my chickies out when they were a mere two weeks old, but it's really hot over here so I recommend you wait till they're fully feathered. Or you can let them out and if they cheep loudly and persistently it means they are cold and you should take them back inside. Cold doesn't kill your chickens but the wetness does. So make sure you pick a dry day to let them out.

Good luck!
smile.png

I just want to add one more thing that maybe you may not know but as well as being all feathered, they should be totally off their heat lamp, night and day. If you have a colder part of the house, I would move the brooder to that location so that they begin to get used to the lack of heat. Also be sure your coop has good ventilation at top but completely draft free. I'm kind of new too but these are some of the things that I have learned from reading stuff in here and where others have directed readers by adding links.

Believe me, the more you learn about chickens and everything to do with them, the more you will realize that you STILL have a LOT to learn! But don't worry too much, the addiction to this website helps a Lot!

My girls are almost 6 weeks old now and appear to be fully feathered. I am in the Chicago area and it could still get into the lower 40's at night. It is in the 60's on average during the day. I am wondering if it's safe to move them outside at this point. I have had them off the lamp for about a week now. I could run a lamp out for night heating if needed.

I'm wondering the same thing... our 6 are about 4 almost 5 weeks. Should we ease into it by turning the heat lamp off during the day but putting it on at night, then try 24 hours? Can we put them outside but still in their brooder during the day to get acclimated to the outside temps? They are all almost fully feathered, some more than others. They seem happy and healthy and i'm ready to get them out of my laundry room...starting to get stinky!!1

Back
Top Bottom