When to move ducks outside?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mistyt14, Mar 21, 2013.

1. mistyt14

mistyt14 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2012
    How long do you have to wait to move ducks outside? First time having duckings and I have to say they STINK! I have them in a huge plastic and wire rabbit cage with the light suspended on one end so they have a end to get away from the heat. we have had them almost 3 weeks now, and they were probably at least a week old before we got them. I have been changing their bedding (pine shavings) every other day as the mess they make is horrible. I'd like to put them out in a shed with the light and no drafts here soon.

What age before they don't need a light? My mom is taking them to her house once they are big enough for no light and I can't wait!

2. Deerling

Deerling Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    King County, WA
    Oh man, I feel you! I was sweeping 3-4 times a day and burning candles constantly and it was terrible! That was with only two ducks. I think people will want to know what the climate is like where you live and what type of ducks they are. Also maybe what kind of set up they will have outside.

Could you post a picture of them? Mine were mostly feathered at four weeks, they're Pekins, and I live in California so it is pretty warm. I started putting them outside in the garden during warm days when they were about three weeks old, but they slept in at night. Right now they're sleeping in a plastic dog crate on the porch. I cover the front with plastic so only the side vents are uncovered. They seem to be doing really well (it's so cute, they come in from the garden at dusk all by themselves) and the house is 100 times more livable.

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    They don't need light, they need heat. They need heat until they are fully feathered which is usually 8 weeks. Fully feathered they have ALL of their feathers and typically the feathers on their sides under their wings grow last.

A lot depends on where you live and if you are able to provide a heat source outside if needed. Ducklings need to start at 90 degrees their first week, lowered 5 degrees every week. So if yours are about 4 weeks they need 75 degree temps all day and night. If you can provide that outside, move them outside. If you can't, you risk losing them to cold.

1 person likes this.
  4. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    They need dry clean bedding more than every other day that's prob why the smell is bad. Brooded 20 ducks so far at different times I found at least 3- 4 times a day on cleaning, a cat litter scooper helps scoop their poop then add a little more fresh dry bedding. Even though they love water they need to be clean and dry.

5. Deerling

Feb 5, 2013
    King County, WA
    I agree, I scooped their bedding twice a day and added fresh. Sometimes more. How do you keep your ducks dry at night? Mine always wake up wet. I tried so many water configurations! I have been giving them a small jar of water that is narrower at the top and heavy bottomed. It is pretty small, so they don't have water when they wake up but are generally dry. Do you think that's okay? I get up at 8:30 to let them out and give them fresh water.

This has been my first time with ducks, and it sounds like jdywntr has lots of experience! So if anything I said sounded like it contradicted her I would go with her knowledge.

6. kada6305

kada6305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    Exactly what I do and I have them in our dinning room- no smell at all. I completely change out their bedding about twice a week but I scoop out their poo and wet bedding and add fresh dry bedding about 4 times a day with 5 two week ducklings :)
    They need dry clean bedding more than every other day that's prob why the smell is bad. Brooded 20 ducks so far at different times I found at least 3- 4 times a day on cleaning, a cat litter scooper helps scoop their poop then add a little more fresh dry bedding. Even though they love water they need to be clean and dry.[/quote

7. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    Deerling try a gallon waterer set in a Rubbermaid container like this one.[​IMG] or what you have on hand similar it will catch a majority of the water. it's very important they have water at all times with their feed or they will choke. The older they get you may have to add two waterers. They need to also have a waterer that's deep enough to dip entire head like a butter container in several times a day at short periods to clean sinus and eyes this will prevent serious infections. Supervised Tub swims would also be great for them.

8. mistyt14

Sep 3, 2012
    we live in Montana, so it's still really cold at night, we got them at tsc[​IMG]
    this is a pic of when we first got them. im pretty sure the one on the right is a mallard? Im trying different water contraptions, i bought them a chicken waterer but that was a disaster as they went through a gallon of water in hours and most went in the bedding, now i have a bowl inside a pie plate

9. Deerling

Feb 5, 2013
    King County, WA

10. mistyt14

Sep 3, 2012
    what do you have them housed in? I will have to give them a deep water dish,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by