When to move keets out of pen??

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Heather94, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Heather94

Heather94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2016
    Columbus Ga
    I have several keets, ranging from 4weeks to a day old. Still in brooder for now. Once I move them to the growout pen, how long should they remain penned up before I release them to the flock? I have 9 adult guineas that have free ranged 24/7 for about 8 months now (started with 10, but one disappeared within the first week of release). They roost in a tree in our front yard. The keets were hatched from thier eggs. At what point can I turn them free To join thier flock? Obviously once they are fully feathered and can fly, but is thier a certain age? Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  2. Unusual3818

Unusual3818 Just Hatched

Sep 19, 2016
    Michigan
    I would definitely wait until the are fully feathered to start putting them with your flock. Usually 6-8 weeks. It's better to have them in a pinned area where your original rasp (group of guineas) can see them. They will not like the new guineas at all and it will take a while for them get used to the new guys, and they may never fully accept them. But if your newer guineas have 3 or more in their rasp they will have their own rasp and they will be fine.

3. Raison

Raison New Egg

Apr 13, 2017
    Shaftsbury VT
    Can I ask how you got yours to free range? This my first experience w any type of bird/fowl. I am rating them in DE until they are 7 weeks old and then will have 2 weeks to train them to free range at our house in VT.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by