1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

When to move keets out of pen??

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Heather94, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Heather94

Heather94 Chirping

Sep 14, 2016
    Columbus Ga
    I have several keets, ranging from 4weeks to a day old. Still in brooder for now. Once I move them to the growout pen, how long should they remain penned up before I release them to the flock? I have 9 adult guineas that have free ranged 24/7 for about 8 months now (started with 10, but one disappeared within the first week of release). They roost in a tree in our front yard. The keets were hatched from thier eggs. At what point can I turn them free To join thier flock? Obviously once they are fully feathered and can fly, but is thier a certain age? Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017

2. Unusual3818

Unusual3818 In the Brooder

Sep 19, 2016
    Michigan
    I would definitely wait until the are fully feathered to start putting them with your flock. Usually 6-8 weeks. It's better to have them in a pinned area where your original rasp (group of guineas) can see them. They will not like the new guineas at all and it will take a while for them get used to the new guys, and they may never fully accept them. But if your newer guineas have 3 or more in their rasp they will have their own rasp and they will be fine.

3. Raison

Raison Hatching

Apr 13, 2017
    Shaftsbury VT
    Can I ask how you got yours to free range? This my first experience w any type of bird/fowl. I am rating them in DE until they are 7 weeks old and then will have 2 weeks to train them to free range at our house in VT.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by