When to Move Malay Chicks outside?

MysteryChicken

Preserving Gamefowl, 1 Variety At a Time🇮🇳🇺🇸
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
May 31, 2018
Tawas City, Michigan
Hello, I have 6 week old Malays, & not sure what the best temperatures are safe at night for them. I know 67°F is the minimum for regular chicks that are mostly to fully feathered out, but it's going to be 43°F tonight, & the Malays still have lots of bareness.

What would you recommend? These guys were expensive, so I don't want to send them out when they're not ready.

Thanks in advance.

The fat from baby cakes help them get pin feathers quicker, so maybe keep them on a high fat diet until they fully feather?
They got their last baby cake yesterday, so probably gonna have to get more.

my black australorp chicks are 4 wks, but outgrowing the brooder..It's still pretty cold here at night 45 degrees, they are pretty much fully feathered..I still think I should wait a couple of more weeks, since it's so dang cold..Snowed here last night. This is the first time I have tried this breed..RIR don't grow this fast do they?

my black australorp chicks are 4 wks, but outgrowing the brooder..It's still pretty cold here at night 45 degrees, they are pretty much fully feathered..I still think I should wait a couple of more weeks, since it's so dang cold..Snowed here last night. This is the first time I have tried this breed..RIR don't grow this fast do they?
RIRs are pretty fast at feathering out. If it's too cold you can wait alittle longer, or add a heat supply in the coop for them.

this is also something I haven't done , but I am thinking about doing it, is turn their light off at night, since they are in the house where it is warm, and they are feathered out, I can't just put them in the coop as I have 11 hens and a rooster, so i need to integrate, but we have had maybe two days of warm weather, but I want them to get used to being in the real world. I am starting to sound like an old mother hen again!

this is also something I haven't done , but I am thinking about doing it, is turn their light off at night, since they are in the house where it is warm, and they are feathered out, I can't just put them in the coop as I have 11 hens and a rooster, so i need to integrate, but we have had maybe two days of warm weather, but I want them to get used to being in the real world. I am starting to sound like an old mother hen again!
What about a small Prefab coop?

Back
Top Bottom