When to move outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by knboulay, Feb 14, 2011.

1. knboulay

knboulay Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2011
    Massachusetts
    I have 29 Chicks split between RIR's and Barred Rockes, as well as two silkies. The silkies are about 8 weeks old i believe, and the others were all hatched the last week of January. I live in MA and during the day, our normal weather temps are between 20-35 degrees, at night usually in the teens/ singles.....but as we are starting to come to spring i believe it wont get to much colder. I currently have them in an extension of our home that is not heated but stays around 30-40 degrees however, i have the chicks all in a brooder with a heat lamp that i decided to shut off today because i just dont think they need it anymore. They are getting to small for this and are going to need some more room soon, but i as well want to just get them adapted to the weather. When do you think i can move them into there coop outside, do you think they still are to young?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I put mine outside in the coop when they're fully feathered out at about 8 weeks old, but with a red 60W bulb in one corner for the first couple of weeks in case they need it. I'm in Scotland though and our nighttime temperatures don't often get below zero centigrade. Generally, once they've got their feathers through, they can cope with pretty much the same temperatures as your adult birds. I think if you're going to put three week old chicks outside, you'd have to use a heat lamp on them for a good few more weeks...

3. Chicken Junkies

Chicken Junkies Chillin' With My Peeps

I think I would raise the light gradually to decrease the heat instead of just shutting it off cold turkey. They are still babies and need to be weaned of the heat gradually. My personal opinion, doesn't mean it's right. [​IMG]

4. EELover

EELover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    when they are 6 weeks they are fully feathered. I got mine outside the beginning of November when it was just starting to snow. They have been fine all winter long with the temperatures down to -18. I put a heating lamp in the coop for nighttime. They will be fine. Make sure they have enough ventilation in the coop with a good amount of bedding on the floor and they will be fine. They will snuggle together to stay warm. Think of each chicken as a 10 watt light bulb. They will be fine [​IMG].

5. Bahachick

Bahachick Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2010
    Nassau
    Definitely provide a heat source or two. You will see if they need it, if they all try to get under it they are cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by