1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when to move outside?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ChickenChaps, Mar 14, 2011.

1. ChickenChaps

ChickenChaps Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Malabar, FL
    I have 72 jumbo coturnix quails brooding in 3 boxes that I cut down and taped together - in my spare bedroom in the house.
    They are Quickly! outgrowing it! They will be 2 weeks old this Wednesday 3/16. They are growing SO fast! They are mostly feathered already too.

My question is, when can I take them outside? Our temps for the next 7 days is 83/56, no rain.

I am going to build a little shelter in the big outside (preditor proof unoccupied quail) coop. The little shelter in the coop will be 3 sided and roofed, with a heat lamp. They could go in there to get warm if they want, or wander around the coop if they choose. With my outside temps, do you think they would be ok?

opinions???

2. B. Kossum

B. Kossum Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2010
    I'm new to quail, but have had a lot of chickens and stuff. I got 10 A&M's at 1 1/2 weeks old. I put them straight outside into a housing similar to what you are talking about. They had pine shavings and a hooded heat lamp with a 100 watt bulb. The temps. were 70's/40's. They did fine. Last week, at about 3 weeks old I moved them into a rabbit hutch style cage (3 walls and wire front). Temps. have been 80's/50's. Even at night they wander away from the light. I think they are pretty hardy little birds and your's should be fine.

Oh yea, I live in souther Mississippi so our weather should be similar. If anything it is warmer your way probably.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  3. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    If I read correctly 83F day time temp?
    If this is the case you can take them out during the day and even the night as long as you provide a good heated spot in a protected area.

My birds by 2 weeks are normally down to about 85F

4. ChickenChaps

ChickenChaps Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Malabar, FL
    Great, thanks folks!

I have made a little shelter and put a heat lamp. I was monitoring the temps in there this evening and think it will be sufficient. I will move the birds in a day or two. I would prefer to move them earlier in the day (instead of 4pm when I get off work) so I can watch their behavior as to whether they are cold or hot - I have 2 goats fixin to kid in the next couple days so I will have to take a day off work anyway. I will move them that day so I can watch them. [​IMG]

Thank you for your help. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by