When to move outside?

Cheysr21

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2015
We live in the south and its starting to get close to 90degrees outside. think i could move the chicks out to the coop when they are 3 weeks if i keep a heat lamp in the coop? Thanks!

Mine went out at 4 weeks on about April 10th or so. I live in Calif, so daytime temps were around 70, nighttime was around 48. I kept them in the coop for about 1 1/2 weeks. I kept the heat lamps on all night & turned them off at about 10:00 am. I turned them on again at 6:00 pm. They did great. I was so glad to get them out!

I have 16 chicks that are one day old and 11 that are 2wks old. While its 85 out today they're in the yard in the run. Everyone is playing nicely together.

I'll bring them in when the sun goes down as neither of them are fully feathered her. The older girls have wing feathers and some tail feathers but that's it. Still fluffy :)
1f413.png
1f413.png

I live in TN and personally would wait until they're fully feathered (which for us was more like 10-12 weeks). We've had too many neighbors report dead chicks from moving them too soon and you never know when a night will get nippy. Our last frost warning date was only a few days ago.

We did move ours outside for the daytime in a pen and only brought the back in at night, which helped keep down the mess and trouble.

Last edited:
I live in TN and personally would wait until they're fully feathered (which for us was more like 10-12 weeks). We've had too many neighbors report dead chicks from moving them too soon and you never know when a night will get nippy. Our last frost warning date was only a few days ago.

We did move ours outside for the daytime in a pen and only brought the back in at night, which helped keep down the mess and trouble.

Thanks for the advice. We might let them feather or more then

Please help. Can I move mine outside? They are three and a half weeks old. Have most of their feathers and the weather this week is 49 low at night. Do I need a heat lamp still?

Back
Top Bottom