When to move the chickens into the coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Anjeey, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Anjeey

Anjeey Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2010
    Hello again. Yeah, it's me. [​IMG]

I'm very sorry if I posted this question in the wrong forum...if so, please do move it to the correct location.

When is the best time to move pullets into the coop to live outside? Mine are about 4-5 weeks old and have most of their feathers. The weather here is pretty mild throughout the year so heat and cold are small issues at the most.

Next question; when they do spend the first couple of nights in the coop, is it good to not let them out to free range for the first couple of days? I read that I should keep them in there so they learn where 'home' is and will automatically go into the coop at night.

They are getting quite large now and spend several hours outdoors anyhow--they are tired of the brooder and I'm tired of them being in my house. I like them a lot--just not the odor. [​IMG]

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Here: have some pictures for fun. [​IMG]

[​IMG] -- this is how big they are now. Still too young to live outdoors?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] -- This is Gertie. She's my friend. [​IMG]

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Beautiful babies!

And yes, i would say they are quite ready to live outside in their coop.

It is a good idea to keep them inside the coop for a few days or as long as a week to make sure their little brains get reprogrammed about where home is located. Then they'll always go back to the coop when it gets dark at night.

Have fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by