1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When to move them outside??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MetalFarm, Jul 31, 2016.

1. MetalFarm

MetalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I have a flock of about 25 in the main house with a private run and they free range about 2 days a week.
    I have 25 chicks in the garage that are about 9 weeks old. I have an old goat house next to the chicken house that I converted to a new chicken house. Is it ok to go ahead and move the 9 week olds out to the goat pen and close up the door between the two runs so the babies have more room to move around and be outside??
    I guess my biggest concern would be predictors since the big chickens wouldn't be able to get to the little chickens. It will also cut the big chickens run in half until I decide it's ok to open up both runs and houses to all the chickens. I think I've answered my own question as the babies will be much happier with all that extra room. Just wanted some feedback!!

2. Cacique500

Cacique500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I just put out my two week old chicks...think I'm going to leave them out all night tonight. Temps have been 95+ for a high and 74-75 for the lows...and will be for the next couple of weeks. The inside house temp was 77 and they haven't been under the Brinsea for a few days. 9 weeks is certainly old enough based on temperature...for the predators, that's up to you and your setup!!

3. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    I usually put mine out to their coop at about 6 - 8 weeks so you should be just fine.

4. AllynTal

AllynTal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2014
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    You'll have to answer your question about predators, but the chickens are fine to go outside. At nine weeks, they're feathered out so they don't need heat. Even if they weren't, you could let them out as long as they have a heat source they can retreat to.

Three days old:
    [​IMG]
    This was back on April 1, so the temps outside were in the 60s during the day and upper 40s and 50s at night.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by