When to move them outside??

MetalFarm

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 1, 2013
Nashville, TN
I have a flock of about 25 in the main house with a private run and they free range about 2 days a week.
I have 25 chicks in the garage that are about 9 weeks old. I have an old goat house next to the chicken house that I converted to a new chicken house. Is it ok to go ahead and move the 9 week olds out to the goat pen and close up the door between the two runs so the babies have more room to move around and be outside??
I guess my biggest concern would be predictors since the big chickens wouldn't be able to get to the little chickens. It will also cut the big chickens run in half until I decide it's ok to open up both runs and houses to all the chickens. I think I've answered my own question as the babies will be much happier with all that extra room. Just wanted some feedback!!

I just put out my two week old chicks...think I'm going to leave them out all night tonight. Temps have been 95+ for a high and 74-75 for the lows...and will be for the next couple of weeks. The inside house temp was 77 and they haven't been under the Brinsea for a few days. 9 weeks is certainly old enough based on temperature...for the predators, that's up to you and your setup!!

You'll have to answer your question about predators, but the chickens are fine to go outside. At nine weeks, they're feathered out so they don't need heat. Even if they weren't, you could let them out as long as they have a heat source they can retreat to.

Three days old:

This was back on April 1, so the temps outside were in the 60s during the day and upper 40s and 50s at night.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom