When to move them outside??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by debgal, Apr 20, 2009.

1. debgal

debgal Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Griffin, Ga
    We have the nine chicks in the house right now. They will be 4wks old tomorrow. We have four adult hens in the coop outside. When can we move the chicks outside with the older hens??? My daughter(her chicks) says they cant go outside til they are at least 8wks old. Thought I better get info from you all before she makes them inside pets:p

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It wouldn't be a good idea to put them out with your adult hens until they've reached a size that they can fend for themselves against the adults.
    One way you could do it is to create a pen within the coop for the younger ones. Some folks create a temporary wall out of wood and chicken wire. The adults can see the chicks and get used to them without harming them.

3. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I just moved my last bunch of chicks outside today. They're only 3 weeks, but it's not even getting below 50 at night and they have 2 250w heat lamps in with them. Ours do have their own space, however.

I wouldn't put the two groups together until they are of a comparable size. There could be some bickering between the two groups!

4. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    I'm in Indiana and my 3 wkers have been out for 3 nights now. They are in great shape and are loving the freedom!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by