When to move them outside

setter4

Songster
11 Years
May 8, 2008
Central Pennsylvania
My chicks are just a month old. It has been nice and warm the last week or so and i have been taking them outside to the coop in the morning and they have been out till dusk when i bring them back inside. They seem to be loving the outside. Although they are in a pen they have a grassy area, a gravel area and some concrete.
I am not sure if it is OK to leave them out over night yet. The temps have been staying in the mid to upper 50's at night. When soes eveyone let the chicks they raise inside...outside?
If it matters there are 10 chicks and their hen house is 4x8x5.
Also in their pen, should their feeder and waterer be in the outside fenced area or inside their coop...or both?
Thanks!

Jackie

They will be fine in the coop, mine are just coming up to a month old now and they are out in the coop with no heatlamp and doing great. Our temps aren't nearly as warm as yours are...we still have nights of -10C here I just took them off heat a couple of days ago. They are fully feathered so they are fine
I would put food and water inside for sure and outside if they don't seem to be going in for it

Last edited:
I was wondering this too! I have 13 chicks who are just over 3 weeks old. Their brooder was in the coop right from day one. Now that brooder is getting filled up with more day-olds and the older babies have the rest of the coop to wander (with the door to the run closed and locked).

It was really warm today (going to be warmer this week!) and I left the "people door" to the run open for about an hour as a test. They were interested... but no-one was brave enough to take the plunge.

Will they come back in by themselves?? It'll be REALLY hard to catch those rascals once they get out there! It's a BIG run and they are FAST!!!!

THANKS!

Back
Top Bottom