When to move to brooder??

trulefty

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 12, 2009
Magnolia, Ms
First hatch was at 130 this afternoon, last was about 7 pm today have two zipping now and some more that are piped... When do I move the chicks to the brooder??? I'm afraid they will dehydrate..........

I always wait untill everything that is going to hatch has hatched.If you start opening the bator now you may jeprodize the other eggs.Chicks should be fine for now.Just have patients.
barnie.gif

PATIENCE!!!!????? Not my strong point...... I've been glued to the bator for 17 hours now..... #9 just popped 3 more are zipping..... Don't know if my nerves & heart are going to make it...

I have left mine in for up to around 24 hrs. and they were fine.You can take the dry chicks out every 6-8 hours if you want, but be quick about it and make sure you only get the dry ones. Good Luck,I think you will do fine and congratulations on the new babies.
smile.png

Bear in mind that hatcheries regularly ship day old chicks, so they can go 2 days with no water. They are still using the energy from the yolk that they absorbed in the shell. I wait until all have hatched, unless we start hitting 36 hours. Then I get nervous and start to move them over. I probably don't have to even then, but it's hard to not meddle sometimes.

I take them out when they start hatching the others out for company! This chick got obsessed with this egg after it pipped and rolled it around and pecked on it until it hatched. Notice the shells that have fallen in instead of out! I finally yanked him out of there. As I recall, the little chick he "helped" did not make it. I have only had that happen once.

34566_fall-11.jpg

Because my daughter wants to put eggs in the incubator everyother day I am going threw a heck of a stagared hatch. I just wait till the chick dries out then move them over to the brooder. So far I am 6 for 6 and have two pipping right now.

Back
Top Bottom