When to move your chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DavisFarmGirl, Mar 24, 2013.

1. DavisFarmGirl

DavisFarmGirl New Egg

Mar 24, 2013
    I really dont know how old my chicks are. But when or what do they look like when you move your chicks from their brooder to their new coop?[​IMG]

2. SA Farm

SA Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    From what I've read (sorry not first-hand, someone will come along and confirm/refute I'm sure) As the chicks get older, slowly decrease the heat in the brooder until they are fully feathered (particularly the head). Then move them outside, but keep an eye on them and the temperatures out there.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Chicks can be raised in the coop or barn pen from day One. Just be sure they are secure and have a proper environment. At 5 weeks old, they often still need a touch of supplement warmth, at night, if nightime temps fall below 60F.

Once they are 7 weeks old, most chicks are fully feathered and no longer need any nightime supplemental warming at all.

4. Fred's Hens

These chicks are 5 to 6 weeks old. They were being conditioned to move into a No-Heat barn pen.

This is what a 6 week old chick looks like, but every breed is a bit different.

[​IMG]

5. Fred's Hens

Same chicks at 8 weeks. They are now out in a barn pen with no heat. They've experienced temps down into the teens without any problems at all. They huddle up for warmth, but because they are frisky, eat well, they produce their own body heat.

[​IMG]

6. arnr1530

arnr1530 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    North Carolina
    i have 6 chicks they are 8 wks 7 wks and 6 wks old they have been out in their coop since they were 4 wks old they had most of their feathers and i keep a heat lamp out in their coop with them since it still gets a little chilly out at night but they learn to huddle together and keep each other warm Fred's hens is right they can go out at day one but i was told that if they started out inside wait til they have almost all their feathers before putting them outside hope this helps [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    they were 4 n 5 wks here

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by