When to move your chicks?

DavisFarmGirl

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 24, 2013
I really dont know how old my chicks are. But when or what do they look like when you move your chicks from their brooder to their new coop?
jumpy.gif

From what I've read (sorry not first-hand, someone will come along and confirm/refute I'm sure) As the chicks get older, slowly decrease the heat in the brooder until they are fully feathered (particularly the head). Then move them outside, but keep an eye on them and the temperatures out there.

Chicks can be raised in the coop or barn pen from day One. Just be sure they are secure and have a proper environment. At 5 weeks old, they often still need a touch of supplement warmth, at night, if nightime temps fall below 60F.

Once they are 7 weeks old, most chicks are fully feathered and no longer need any nightime supplemental warming at all.

i have 6 chicks they are 8 wks 7 wks and 6 wks old they have been out in their coop since they were 4 wks old they had most of their feathers and i keep a heat lamp out in their coop with them since it still gets a little chilly out at night but they learn to huddle together and keep each other warm Fred's hens is right they can go out at day one but i was told that if they started out inside wait til they have almost all their feathers before putting them outside hope this helps
big_smile.png

they were 4 n 5 wks here

Back
Top Bottom