When to Name Chicks?

I love theme names and would totally randomly assign them to chicks, but I’ve yet to find a means of identifying similar looking chicks that I find satisfactory. They either don’t work or don’t stick or work too well and are too difficult to remove when you want to.

That's terrible. The kids asked me what I was going to name them and the answer is supper. I lucked out and the named by others chicks got lost in the first molt. That and we had 11 barred rocks that looked identical. Well, to everyone else...

It helps if you have multiples. We have 7 leghorns, 4 barred rocks, 3 dark red and 3 light red. I thought the leghorns would out egg the others. Nope. Now I'm the only one who feeds and watches them. The "new" wore off.

Often when I name them as chicks their name ends up changing to something else when they get older because I see more personality, etc.
One of my birds went from being named Spicy as a chick to Feisty as a pullet and now we just call her Red lol.
Then our 3 SLW are named Coco, Pepper & Penelope.
But Penelope turned into such a ditz that I often call her Ditzy.
With my new chicks I’m getting in May, I plan on waiting at least until they feather out unless I just find myself calling some of them something.
My husband never seems to like the names I pick. He always ends up using a different name.
I named the cat Naomi but he just calls her Miss Kitty

That's terrible. The kids asked me what I was going to name them and the answer is supper. I lucked out and the named by others chicks got lost in the first molt. That and we had 11 barred rocks that looked identical. Well, to everyone else...

It helps if you have multiples. We have 7 leghorns, 4 barred rocks, 3 dark red and 3 light red. I thought the leghorns would out egg the others. Nope. Now I'm the only one who feeds and watches them. The "new" wore off.

My son told me he wanted fried chicken the other day and I said go pick one out. He said noooo. Haha. They are attached right now but I'm sure once the newness wears off it will be solely up to me and my husband.

Back
Top Bottom