When to open Nesting Boxes?

So I’m planning on putting my chicks out in the coop/run in the next few weeks so I should NOT have the nesting boxes in the coop for now?

So I’m planning on putting my chicks out in the coop/run in the next few weeks so I should NOT have the nesting boxes in the coop for now?
If the nests are already in the coop, then see what happens when you put them in there.
You don't want them sleeping in the nests, because they poop when sleeping and if they continue to sleep in the nests, then poop covered eggs will happen when they start laying.
If you notice that they are sleeping in the nests instead of the roosts, then block the nests till they learn to roost or 15 weeks old. GC

Ok! They’re removable nesting boxes I made from some 14x14 cabinet doors I was given so I can just move them out if needed. Thanks again for the info!
048B491A-320B-4C8E-9416-3E64402614A0.jpeg

So glad to see this post. My chickens are 18 weeks old and I was wondering about taking the hardware cloth off the nesting boxes and seeing what happens. I have been watching for eggs since I am not sure about the exact age and breeds!

My hens are 19 weeks old. I opened my nesting boxes last night and now the straw is strewn all over the coop floor. How do I get them to leave it in the box? I will put golf balls in tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20200812_112219.jpg
    20200812_112219.jpg
    555.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200812_112150.jpg
    20200812_112150.jpg
    506.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200812_112138.jpg
    20200812_112138.jpg
    572.9 KB · Views: 8
My hens are 19 weeks old. I opened my nesting boxes last night and now the straw is strewn all over the coop floor. How do I get them to leave it in the box? I will put golf balls in tomorrow.
How high of a lip do you have in front of the nesting boxes? Think @aart told me to have the lip around 3" in height to help reduce the straw coming out of the nesting boxes.

It is about three inches. It looked like they had had a party in there!

Pretty normal for them to want to explore the boxes (aka make a mess) since they've just been exposed to them. They may be obnoxious with scratching bedding out while getting close to lay, but should settle down in behavior once they begin laying.

Back
Top Bottom