When to open nesting boxes?

Prushanks

Songster
Aug 6, 2020
Hey all! So about three weeks ago I picked up Seven girls ages ranging (Currently) from 10 to 12wks (3 youngest estimated) to 19weeks. The oldest is a Golden Comet, so as I understand it she could start laying any day now?
I built a 6.5’x 4.5’ double decker coop (bottom is an enclosed outdoor space where the food & h2o is with a ramp from the inside that leads down - closed every night after they go in to roost) and a door to let them out to free-range daily in a pen that is 9’ wide x 32’ long (288sqft).
Anyway I originally planned for two nesting boxes but then added a third after reading more. They have been closed off to ensure they roost on the bars.
Two questions- I should remove the third box in favor of the floor space it would open up? (My nesting boxes are internal as I am not skilled enough to make the external boxes.) Secondly, should I open them up now (and put fake eggs in) as the girls always roost on the bars? (I’ve since changed the location of some of the bars to allow more ladies to fit on one bar)
A22217BA-8C57-477F-B386-911E2A556C17.jpeg
6D17E113-6F16-4533-96AF-C4854682D0D8.jpeg
2F6C0D19-ACF7-4488-992F-ACF2B006C9C4.jpeg
A0BC0706-2F45-4D0C-8424-D12BE833ACF5.jpeg
185FE9C8-5C25-4B91-968C-3D470DEA6366.jpeg
D1F5164D-4A7D-4BE8-8A6D-AC5DE354B00C.jpeg

i'd just set one box up until they get laying .. it may still be a few weeks and they may trash it, so you dont wantto be wasting time cleaning up more than one .. after they get going i'd set them all up and just see what they do .. if theyre only using one or two then decide ...

That's a nice little coop you've built!:clap Someone once advised me to open the nest boxes when pullets begin to squat when you reach for them. That means their hormones are kicking in. That worked for me. I have two nests for six hens. But it does get awfully busy at times. Good luck on your new endeavor.:love

I would open up nests now, so they have time to explore them before laying (and so you can address nest box sleeping issues, if any, ahead of time).

I would also remove the 3rd box. IF you need it you can always put it back in, but with your layout the placement of the 3rd box is just awkward and eating up almost all the floor space over on that side.

I would open up nests now, so they have time to explore them before laying (and so you can address nest box sleeping issues, if any, ahead of time).

I would also remove the 3rd box. IF you need it you can always put it back in, but with your layout the placement of the 3rd box is just awkward and eating up almost all the floor space over on that side.
Thank you all for your advice!!!! :bow:bow

@rosemarythyme I agree.. just thinking about the coming winter, (though not terrible in southern NY) I do want as much useable floor space as possible!

Thank you all for your advice!!!! :bow:bow

@rosemarythyme I agree.. just thinking about the coming winter, (though not terrible in southern NY) I do want as much useable floor space as possible!
I agree with both of you! I have 16 hens and 3 nesting boxes. I use to have 6 nesting boxes but they only used 3 so I removed them for more space. You will love the more space!

My girls never squatted, so my only yardstick of them getting close to laying was their age. If they are roosting on the roosting bars without problem, then I'd say, sure, open up the nesting boxes.

I did have some clues that my girls were ready, but since this is my first flock, I didn't recognize them. I saw a depression in the pine shavings under the box for a couple days. I'd smooth it out, it would be there the next day. I found the first egg out in the run, the second in the nest made under the box. I tried to explain to the girls where they were supposed to lay, but they didn't understand.

I took the box and put it on the floor where the nest and egg had been, and put boards on the floor next to it, as the third egg was in a "nest" farther down the side of the coop. They got it after that. Slowly, I raised the box but putting it on bricks until it was back up to the original height. That's where they do it now. :)

I cannot think of a single reason to not open those nests. If they are going to sleep in the nests they will do that after you open them up. If they are going to sleep in the nests I want to know that so I can fix it before I get poopy eggs. If you don't have the nests open when they start to lay you can train them to lay somewhere else.

Your roosts look low. It is possible they will move to the nests after you open them up. If that happens it will happen whether they are laying or not. I just don't see what you gain by finding that out after you start getting poopy eggs.

For seven hens two nests should be plenty.

I like the ventilation.

I cannot think of a single reason to not open those nests. If they are going to sleep in the nests they will do that after you open them up. If they are going to sleep in the nests I want to know that so I can fix it before I get poopy eggs. If you don't have the nests open when they start to lay you can train them to lay somewhere else.

Your roosts look low. It is possible they will move to the nests after you open them up. If that happens it will happen whether they are laying or not. I just don't see what you gain by finding that out after you start getting poopy eggs.

For seven hens two nests should be plenty.

I like the ventilation.
Agreed! I opened the two up and put a golf ball in one! Karen my Golden Comet immediately checked it out but nothing yet!
The pics are a little older, i changed the bars higher, will get a new pick once I take that third box out! Thank you all so much!! This is a completely new frontier for me and I have SO much to learn!

Back
Top Bottom