When to open nesting boxes (?)

Jul 5, 2022
My chicks are now 13 weeks old . 2 Easter Eggers, 1 Austraulop , 1 Americauna . I’ve had the nesting boxes blocked off, because I read that when they’re young, they can sleep and poop in them and it’s a hard habit to break . I know they’re still at least 5 weeks away from when they may begin to lay , but I’m wondering when I should open the nesting boxes? Wait 5 more weeks? Do it now? Please share your experience!
Thank you!

Attachments

• 881F96CC-F58D-4AD1-8FE4-CB11215A2DEF.jpeg
    881F96CC-F58D-4AD1-8FE4-CB11215A2DEF.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 208
Do they put themselves to bed on roost(perches) at night? Do they mostly hang out outside or in coop?
Is roost higher than best boxes?
I know Easter eggers and americaunas lay around 6 months but Australorp will lay sooner. Does anyone have a comb that has turned red?
If you noticing any pre lay behavior then you can open and place fake eggs in nest boxes.

If the birds are roosting reliably I'd open them now - it'll give them more time to explore the nest sites, plus it'll also let you know in advance if there's any issues with birds wanting to sleep in there (so you can address it before risking soiled eggs and such).

2 roost at night , the other two lay in the shavings together . There is a pull out droppings tray beneath the roosts, this is where the two lay. Roosts are not higher than the boxes …. That’s where my concern is . I know they’ll go explore and probably plop down to sleep and poop

If the birds are roosting reliably I'd open them now - it'll give them more time to explore the nest sites, plus it'll also let you know in advance if there's any issues with birds wanting to sleep in there (so you can address it before risking soiled eggs and such).
2 roost but 2 sleep together on the shavings of the pull out tray . All 4 were sleeping together on shavings , until it got too crowded and 2 moved to the roost

2 roost at night , the other two lay in the shavings together . There is a pull out droppings tray beneath the roosts, this is where the two lay. Roosts are not higher than the boxes …. That’s where my concern is . I know they’ll go explore and probably plop down to sleep and poop
One way or another that may need to be addressed, so keeping nests covered is only delaying that, if it does become an issue. IMO better to find out if it's going to be a problem now, and fix the roost situation now/soon.

Back
Top Bottom