When to process white broad breasted turkeys?

If a turkey weighs in at 60 pounds live meat, what does that translate to for butchered meat?

When we have our steers butchered, they start out at, say, 1300 pounds, but we only bring home say 800. These numbers are not accurate. My husband knows the numbers, and I never remember correctly. But I know we lose a lot with the head, organs, and the skin (which I can't even lift, I've tried).... but I reckon it's different with a turkey because they don't have the 500 pound hide and the ginormous skull and tongue. And they are a little smaller (but not much, from the way it sounds).

Generally BB Turkey's are butchered at around 18 to 22 weeks of age.

But that could get a hen around 16 to 17 dressed and a tom around 22 to 25 pounds.

We had a really mean BB Bronze hen and did here at about 12 weeks, It was just about 9 pounds dressed.

Tom

Generally BB Turkey's are butchered at around 18 to 22 weeks of age.

But that could get a hen around 16 to 17 dressed and a tom around 22 to 25 pounds.

We had a really mean BB Bronze hen and did here at about 12 weeks, It was just about 9 pounds dressed.

Tom
How was the young turkey? Were the proportions the same as a larger bird? I'm thinking of processing BBW to get a 12-15lb. bird and wondering about processing younger than 16 weeks

How was the young turkey? Were the proportions the same as a larger bird? I'm thinking of processing BBW to get a 12-15lb. bird and wondering about processing younger than 16 weeks
Please pay attention to the dates of the posts. This thread is from 2008. The person that you replied to has not been on BYC since 2012. You will not get them to answer your question.

Back
Top Bottom