when to pull the playpen?

peartreehens

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 10, 2013
I have 8 girls in my established flock (no roos), and 4 pullets I've been introducing using a dog crate in the main run. After several weeks of hanging out in the crate, I opened the door of it just enough for the little ones to get in and out. They go in and out more and more, and the initial pecking is pretty infrequent at this point. The little ones still want to go to sleep and roost in their crate. At what point do I yank the crate? Will they one day just want to roost with the big girls? Or do I need to force the issue by removing the crate?
thanks in advance.

When I have introduced single birds to my flock they integrate much faster then when you introduce them as a group... From my experience when you introduce a group of younger birds they tend to stick together and keep to themselves as a mini flock inside the bigger flock for a much longer time... They feel safe and comfortable in their little group and in familiar surroundings like the crate, you will likely need to force the issue a bit...

I would remove the crate and see how it goes, chances are they will be fine as long as there is plenty of roosting area and they can remain together and at wings distance to the existing birds for awhile...

thanks! I opened the door wider today, and the big girls could get in if they want to. When I went out and checked, everyone was in the run, no one in the crate. I'll probably try pulling it out all together this weekend and see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom