When to put ducklings outside without heat

Quacks and Waddles

In the Brooder
May 30, 2021
I have 3 five week old Call ducklings who have been living in my bedroom in a roomy playpen. While this has been great for bonding, it’s pretty messy. Wall to wall carpeting with shavings everywhere! I was thinking about introducing them to their outside barn with secure attached pen this weekend because temps will be in the 60’s at night. There would be no heater though. Any thoughts?

I have 3 five week old Call ducklings who have been living in my bedroom in a roomy playpen. While this has been great for bonding, it’s pretty messy. Wall to wall carpeting with shavings everywhere! I was thinking about introducing them to their outside barn with secure attached pen this weekend because temps will be in the 60’s at night. There would be no heater though. Any thoughts?
At 5 weeks I say they should be just fine as long as they have shelter and aren't getting real wet. I've kicked mine out way earlier than that as long as the night time temps are not going to be below 50. They will snuggle for warmth.

At 5 weeks I say they should be just fine as long as they have shelter and aren't getting real wet. I've kicked mine out way earlier than that as long as the night time temps are not going to be below 50. They will snuggle for warmth.
I agree. Once mine are almost feathered or around 4 weeks I move them outside. They should do fine. :)

I agree. Once mine are almost feathered or around 4 weeks I move them outside. They should do fine. :)
Thanks everyone! So glad I discovered backyard chickens/ducks. It’s been very helpful. Even though I’ve had ducks for over ten years, I’ve never raised them from babies. It has been very rewarding watching them grow and change so fast!

Back
Top Bottom