when to put ducks outside full time

mogrl840

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 8, 2011
Yuma AZ
Its about 80-90 in the daytime and then about 60 at night. When can I put my ducks outside full time? One is about 2-3 months and the other two are 2-3 weeks

I put my 2 week olds outside with a heatlamp last week. 45 degree lows and mid 50 highs. They spend the sunny days running free and I herd them back to their pen at night (they would rather sleep with their heads in the lavender). Today is cool and wet and they seem to be having a great time hunting slugs and snails.

I put mine out when they were 4 weeks. It has been raining, about 40 degrees, but they have a heat lamp, and a dog house with straw. If you have proper heating, and a place for them to get out of the weather, then I don't see why not! Oh, and don't stress about it. As long as you have a predator proof enclosure they will be fine! And they will be sooo excited to see you in the morning!
wink.png

6 week old Moskovy; 50-60 degrees during the day
I just open the door; They wonder in and out, from the toasty brooder room to the sunny door, to the yard, play in paint pan of water.

They pretty much stopped sleeping anywhere near the heat lamp at about four weeks.

If in the sun and out of the wind, they are pretty tough, feathers or no.

Oh gosh I put 2 of mine out at 12 weeks in February and there wasn't so much as a shiver. They'll be just fine.

---whoops missed the age of your littler guys. Do they cuddle with the big ones? Can you give them a couple more weeks?

Last edited:
I hatched 2 in January and put them out last week. They are as big as mom and dad and fully feathered. They are doing fine. Our temps have been about 50 to 60 daytime and as low as freezing at night.

I put my 2 young ones out 2 weeks ago when they were 8 weeks old, they were feathered out tho and are now looking a mess because they are moulting out their big baby feathers and getting their adult feathers.

Last edited:
Im wondering also, I live in Texas and during the day its between 76-85 and at night 52-65, I heard on the news we might get a cold front dropping temps to possible high 40s...I have a home for them and a large kennel run...and thought of locking them up in a parrot cage I put in there with maybe shavings??? like a deep litter? I have the kennel run on the bottom half with chicken wire, other wire panels and also plastic, thick fence looks like construction fence but green in color and just what I could to protect them from passing through the chain link kennel run...

36033_dsc_0681.jpg

kennel run, panel fence, and chicken wire all piled on
36033_dsc_0668.jpg

know its hard to see its layered

and this is what I have for there home for now
36033_dsc_0682.jpg

36033_dsc_0667.jpg

know you can not see it, but there's a parrot cage, black where that plank is, thought of putting shavings in it and then also covering it with its own tarp, they also have shade
36033_dsc_0680.jpg

and I have a huge tarp I can double wrap around the cage where they will be locked up at night, with food and water.

36033_dsc_0662.jpg

BUT SOMEONE IN BYC TOLD ME I SHOULD NOT PUT THEM OUT, they are too small????? Now am thinking also of adding a heat lamp when cold front comes in, is this OK???

With your weather I would have them outside. I think some people are over cautious. I put my chicks and ducks out at young ages with heat lamps. I live in N CA and our winters are pretty mild. They all did great! I think the benefit of letting them have fresh air and sun is very important and I let them free sunny days. As long as they have cover at night with a heat lamp to ward off any chill air. I even had to move my heat lamp away from the kennel where they sleep because they wouldn't sleep under it.
This is a view from in the living room. It is fun to be able to see them all day and night. I can even hear them.
78206_rainy_march_008.jpg

I cover the sides with boards at night to keep the wind out. My main concern is keeping the rain out! So far so good
big_smile.png

78206_backyard_march_003.jpg

Felt like adding another pic....lol
78206_backyard_march_002.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom