when to put ducks outside full time

OMG!!!!! I had a hard time sleeping since the temps dropped to 61, I was worried, got up this morning and ran with sleep still in my eyes!!!! lol, and they were fine, there food bowl was empty and they were muddy and the bowl was muddy but they were fine, came out to eat and get fresh water.
What a relief....now have to handle when temps drop down to mid 40s when this cold front comes in....that cage/coop I made them make shift is going to have to be for only a place to maybe lay eggs or go sit in the enclosed cubby area...It wont hold 4 adult ducks......

Im gonna have to start thinking of something to house them in.....

my ducks were fine last night too! I woke up about 2am to check on them and they were walking around looking for bugs. This morning they were waiting for their food, happy as could be. They are outside full time now. No more poop in my house
smile.png
The only thing is now they want to be in there all the time and want nothing to do with me unless I have feed. Its kinda sad. I lost my babies. I am thinking of getting one house duck tho. The others already imprinted on each other and wont even let me pick them up anymore. My older duck used to sleep in bed with us bt now he just wants to be with the little duckies and be outside.
sad.png

I have had my ducks in their duck house (with a heat lamp) inside our unheated garage for the last 5 days. The temps have been around low 50's for highs and 30's for lows. The rest of this week we are expecting the highs and low in the 30's and 20's. I have let them outside for hours at a time and they seem fine. Plus, I figure if they are cold, they can just walk back into the heated portion of the duck house. They are a day or two over 3 weeks old and starting to get some feathers developing.

my two little ducks dont have any feathers starting yet but they are big and seem fine. I had a heat lamp on and they never even went near it so I know they weren't cold.

I put mine out at 5 weeks. They had a little house to huddle in, and the temps were down to the 40s sometimes lower at night. When it was lower, I had put out a lamp, but they didn't use it, just huddled in the straw in the little house together. They didn't seem cold though when they were walking around, they have been fine ever since and didn't lose any and now are about 10 weeks.

We had a 40 degree night with rain and wind. I dream about keeping my chickens and ducks dry and fed. Twice a night I wake up to change the ducks water and feed them. I had to let them out this morning to sweep out their pen. It was raining and windy still but they ran right out to a mud puddle to play. Now they went back in their pen under their heat lamp after eating all the slugs around the patio...my three 10 week chickies are also in their pen sharing their food and heat lamp. I guess that is ok as long as they seem to be getting along alright
hmm.png

Quote:
In their adult enclosure. Mine are out there right now playing in their pool. I have a 10'X6' enclosure with a roof, and they LOVE it out there. If you're wondering where I put them as to outside, they are right next to my house, right outside my window.

ducklingsstandingaround.jpg

Roof.jpg

frontveiw3.jpg

sideveiw.jpg

Back
Top Bottom