When to put extra eggs under a broody hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Christie Loves Silkies, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Christie Loves Silkies

Christie Loves Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

When is the best time to put some extra eggs. This is my first time putting extra eggs in so I really dont know

Should I wait a few days after the hen as gone broody? or anything else that I should to prior to putting these eggs under her.

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Christie, let her go broody on 2-3 eggs, then after she has been solid on the nest for 2-3 days, go to her at night and take those eggs out and replace them with however many fresh eggs you thing she can easily cover. Don`t get greedy. Make sure she can easily cover them with a little room to spare. If you put too many under her, you will have a poor hatch. Again, do it in the dark so you don`t stress her. Then leave her alone, except for food and water, for 21 days. Don`t get in a big hurry to see the chicks, she will take them off the nest after all are dry and comfy, about 2 days after they hatch. Then you can count them and handle them. Good luck......Pop

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Great advise. Make certain she stays in the nest solid for 3 days or even 4.

I had a broody that would go to a different nest almost everyday so I couldn't count on her to incubate, but after they hatched in the incubator I put the chicks under her and she took to them right away... a great mama, not a good incubator.

4. Christie Loves Silkies

Christie Loves Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you for the great advice [​IMG]
    Ive taken her older eggs out of her nest last week that she layed.
    I am only going to put 2-3 extra eggs under her. as one of my newer silkies had started to lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by