1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When to put my chicks outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by paigeandclyde, May 24, 2011.

1. paigeandclyde

paigeandclyde Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Orange County, CA
    I got my chicks May 27th and they were about a week old. now they're a little over a month old, and seem to be outgrowing their coop. when do i put them in the outside coop i have for them? here are their pictures taken today to get an idea of how big they are:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I assume you got them April 27th? Am I right to assume 5 weeks old?

If so, and by the photos, they are good to go. No problem.

3. paigeandclyde

paigeandclyde Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Orange County, CA
    oops yes that's what i meant
    but at a month old can they really stay outside without a heat lamp? it's not that cold here but still

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

A little extra at night wouldn't hurt. Maybe a 100 watt bulb, just to take the chill off. At 6 weeks, they won't even want that.

5. KaneMoa

KaneMoa Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    They should be fine. Unless it gets below 50 I always put em out at 1 month old. I like to limit their time under the light, it seems to stress them somewhat. I feel they stay awake too much, consume too much, get pasty butt and seem to be very nervous, if left under a light for too long. Kinda like a weekend in Vegas with no rest and over indulgence. Lol. The quicker you get them on a natural schedule the better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by