When to put them outside

Colormeblue

Chirping
Nov 4, 2020
I have six 6 week old chicks in a brooder. I'm starting to run out of brooder room (guess I didn't realize how fast they would grow). When can I let them out to the chicken coop?

As soon as possible! Once chicks hit six weeks old, they can move into an outdoor coop. (Assumingly not with older hens.) Might want to keep the heat source on for a couple more days however to help with the transition.
Good luck!

I couldn't tell where you are, but even in Phoenix, you'd need supplemental heat for the night, the whole state here is getting a 20 degree drop in temps by nightfall.

Even if the chicks are "almost" or "mostly" feathered out, remember that the back, chest, neck and head are the feathers that are critical to body heat retention, and they come in last. Avoid being fooled by all the flight feathers and you should be OK. I've had chicks fully feather by 4.5 weeks and I've had some take longer than 8 to fully get all their head/neck feathers in.

So, if you the coop is designed to keep the wind and water out, you could either use your backup heat source, or if no backup, just move them, but pick a night when the temps are forecast to be as mild as possible for a few nights/days so they can adapt. If you can "harden" them like plants, by either opening a window in their room, or taking them out into the coop for a short time during the day, that might help, just bearing in mind, you don't want to shock them, just build their tolerance up a bit.

best of luck!

I don't know what you mean by "mild" but I grew up in the Cumberland Gap area of East Tennessee. I don't live there anymore. If you modify your profile to show location that information will always be available. The lowest temperatures I'm seeing in the next ten day forecast up there is 40 and that's about a week away

I've had chicks 5-1/2 weeks old go through nights in the mid 20's. I'd have them out there tonight. At 6 weeks old they are fully feathered and should be past ready.

That’s perfect temps to move them out. Supplement heat at night only until they are fully feathered. If they are already fully feathered then continue to offer but gradually increase the height of the lamp if you can every few days until you think it’s ok to go without it. It’s ok for them to cozy up to each other for warmth so if you see that don’t worry, just make sure they’re out of drafts.

Back
Top Bottom