When to Reintroduce

scottgar12

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2016
I believe I have a respiratory illness problem.

I have a flock of six chickens. About 10 days ago I noticed that one specific Australorp started coughing (after a high wind day though). A couple of days later two more were coughing. I isolated the Australorp who was having the most problems and began treatment with Tetroxy HCA-280. I also gave all of the other chickens the Tetroxy starting that same day. After a day or two of antibiotics the main flock was done coughing and they have shown no other issues such as runny eyes or smelly heads. The Australorp's eyes started showing small bubbles two or three days into antibiotics and she sounds a little raspy like a smoker. Now it has been six days and her eyes are pretty clear and there's no coughing but she still sounds slightly raspy.

My question is whether or not everyone thinks I should be very concerned about the Australorp's raspyness despite showing no other signs of illness? Also, when would you feel safe introducing her back into the main flock?

Since most of them were showing some symptoms of illness, and you only have six, I would probably put them back together. They have all most likely been exposed already to the respiratory illness, which sounds like mycoplasma gallisepticum. MG is one of the chronic respiratory diseases that can come back or be chronic whenever they are very stressed, such as in a molt or in winter cold weather. It can be passed through the eggs, and the flock should be considered carriers. It is pretty common in backyard flocks, but I wouldn't sell or give away birds. New birds may get it if exposed unless vaccinated. I would get testing before vaccinating, though, just to confirm the disease. Sometimes there may be more than one disease present. Things like heat, dust, mold, or poor air circulation in the coop can increase chances for respiratory problems.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I did a quick search and realized it is common. I will learn to treat as necessary.

Are the eggs from these birds okay to eat as long as I am not treating them with antibiotics within a couple weeks of collecting eggs? My search says Tiamulin is a good antibiotic for this and it has no withdraw period for eggs.

Tylan 50 injectable is good also for treating as well as the one you are using. Tylan injectable can be given orally or by injection, and oral use has a one day withdrawal time. Tiamulin or Denagard are used by some specifically for MG. I would get testing though on one or two birds to make sure. There are several threads here on Denagard use, and it is available online.

Back
Top Bottom