When to remove automatic egg turner

littledon

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 2, 2012
NorthEast Mississippi
I haven't been here in a while. I have always had great results with hatching. I haven't hatched any for a while and I can't remember when I took the automatic egg turner out. Your thoughts.

Punctual? An animal? Never! LOL!!! I've had some not hatch until day 25 and some are known for hatching early. When you open your incubator during the crucial lock down period you allow both heat and needed humidity to escape. By doing so, you could end up with shrink wrapped chicks.

Thanks, I know that they hatch in 21 days and what happens if you open the incubator when they start pecking . They are punctual aren't they.
It depends. If you have sufficient humidity and your incubator recovers quickly after opening, chances of anything happening are slim. If you hold the incubator open and let cool air blow across your pipped eggs, drying out the membranes or run with too low humidity you'll probably dry the membranes and glue the chick so that it can't move.

I am a meddler. I am constantly opening my bator during hatch. I remove chicks, remove shells flip over pippers that have been knocked over, assist if needed and rewet my sponges. I have NEVER lost a pipper/zipper. I have NEVER shrink wrapped a chick. My hatches are 90-100% and my chicks are hatched out healthy with next to no after hatch mortality.

It's all about precaution. Can opening the bator harm anything? Chances are slim, especially if you take the right precautions.

Depending on how steady and accurate your temps are most healthy chicks will hatch between 19-22 days. The farther you get from 21 days the higher possibilities that the chicks will have development/health problems.

Back
Top Bottom