When to remove heat lamp?

Ive hatched over 200 birds. If its warm outside the light is off. Only on at night. And if its in the 70s/80s at night, the light is off.. my brooder box is half open to the outside world via grating. The other half is boxed in with the heat lamp.

by a week old, with my dozens of hatchings, the light has been off During the day. And by 2-3 wks the night one is done. Within 4-6 wks there out the brooder and into the outside world in a coop by themselves. At 2.5-3 monthd, there integrated in with big birds.

just depends on climate. But in this hot box of Louisiana thats how i do it,

I had the heat lamp in my wellhouse with the door open to a 2-car carport (wire mesh enclosed for security). By the end of the 1st week, they didn't even go under the lamp to sleep, only if afraid would they go into the wellhouse--and it was in the 40's at night. They tend to sleep in a heap and keep each other warm, you'll see them change places as they get too cool. Then, one night, my power went out and they were fine so I never turned it back on. They even slept out in the open after week 3, lows in the 50's. Just watch them. If they huddle all the time then give them heat, if not then don't worry. Be sure they have a place out of the draft/wind that they feel safe in (I group hay bales around--by the time they get enough feathers to stay warm, they've torn apart the bales and spread it around). Of course, keep an eye on the weather forecast, if it's going to be cold provide warmth.

Back
Top Bottom