When to remove heat lamp?

How do you wean them off the heat lamp? And what age? Do just point it away from them more more or shut the lamp off for short amount of times increasing the length it’s off? Thank you for any advice
Raise it up so it's cooler at the end of the brooder you have the heat. The other end should be as close to ambient temperatures as possible. I don't pay any attention to a thermometer. I pay attention to the chicks.
If they are zipping around like normal, they're fine.
If they are huddled and peeping loudly, they're cold. Lower the lamp a little.
I would target having it removed entirely by week 5 if you are brooding indoors. And keep it as cool as you can (as close to outdoor temps) in the room you are brooding in.
Do you have a coop? Do you have adult chickens?

I'm thinking that they're about 4 weeks. They have to move out in 2 weeks for my neighbor sanity and their safety. I'm thinking clear vinyl on the sides of the cage with the heat lamp. Any suggestions?

Vinyl will off gas when heated. Do not use it.

The chicks pictured are not 4 weeks. They look around 2 weeks. When did you get them and how old were they then?

It seems like you are ready to be done with the brooding process. But nevertheless, chicks need what they need and trying to force a different scenario won't work.

I'm a lot more aggressive with reducing heat reliance, as I brood outdoors with a mama heating pad in temps ranging from 40s to 60s. Since your chicks are acting comfortable with having the heat off for periods of time, or going outside for a bit, I'd continue to do that as long as temperatures remain consistent in your area and as long as you can continue to check them regularly to ensure they're doing ok at whatever temperature they're at.

Back
Top Bottom