When to remove plastic covering on run?

linda0210

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2021
live in NH - chicken run has clear plastic panels on roof of run (those stay) but i covered the outside of the run with plastic? I am hoping no more snow for the season but when does everyone that covers their run, remove the covering?

live in NH - chicken run has clear plastic panels on roof of run (those stay) but i covered the outside of the run with plastic? I am hoping no more snow for the season but when does everyone that covers their run, remove the covering?

I live in CT & usually take it down mid April too. We still have cold windy days & they appreciate the wind block till it’s a little warmer.

That's a good question. we too have our roofed run surrounds covered with plastic. The weather has been so variable, so we just have to wait until we see temps above 45 f.

I'll take off the side away from the predominant wind/rain once temps are nearly always above freezing (about now). The goal of the plastic isn't to protect them from freezing temps, but to protect them from wind/rain that make it much worse. Removing that side gives them a lot more air and a somewhat better view of the world.

I'll remove the rest of the plastic when we've hit the expected final freeze of the spring. There is nothing hard about those two times, but it works for me.

My only real hard limit is when things are hot. They should have access to more wind and ventilation from the run into the coop to avoid heat build-up.

Back
Top Bottom