When to remove the "bad eggs"

aliciaFarmer

Songster
May 3, 2018
Oregon
I had previously posted that my 5 month old Buff Orpington went broody just a few weeks after she started laying. I ended up purchasing 3 fertile eggs because my boys aren't old enough to facilitate such things just yet and received four eggs. I was pretty sure two were not viable but don't have an adequate candling light. After a little drama with mama leaving the nest yesterday, two hatched this morning (a Swedish Flower Hen and a Lavender Ameraucana, the two I knew for sure were viable) having pipped yesterday. Still nothing with the other two though they are due for hatching today. 99% positive they aren't viable, sadly. They would be a Blue Ameraucana and Chocolate Orpington.

IMG_20181105_082621_762.jpg

My question is when should I remove those other two eggs that mama is still sitting on? I've raised over 50 baby chicks but this is my first time hatching my own so I'm not sure what to do in this particular case. Give it another day or two?

I would try candling again. Phone flashlight works great or if you have a regular flashlight laying around try that. The darker the room the better. Eggs can go rotten and explode. It’s a mess.

I would try candling again. Phone flashlight works great or if you have a regular flashlight laying around try that. The darker the room the better. Eggs can go rotten and explode. It’s a mess.

I tried with my phones yesterday but I probably should look online to see what to expect to see at day 21. It was probably a quarter air sac and I couldn't see anything beyond that. No veins but I don't suppose you see those at this point.

I will go try again now. I'll bring them inside where I can check them in a dark area rather than the bright coop. I had no idea they could explode! That sounds really unpleasant indeed. Thank you so much for the heads up on that!

I had previously posted that my 5 month old Buff Orpington went broody just a few weeks after she started laying. I ended up purchasing 3 fertile eggs because my boys aren't old enough to facilitate such things just yet and received four eggs. I was pretty sure two were not viable but don't have an adequate candling light. After a little drama with mama leaving the nest yesterday, two hatched this morning (a Swedish Flower Hen and a Lavender Ameraucana, the two I knew for sure were viable) having pipped yesterday. Still nothing with the other two though they are due for hatching today. 99% positive they aren't viable, sadly. They would be a Blue Ameraucana and Chocolate Orpington.

View attachment 1582241

My question is when should I remove those other two eggs that mama is still sitting on? I've raised over 50 baby chicks but this is my first time hatching my own so I'm not sure what to do in this particular case. Give it another day or two?
I would like to get some help with that as well. I had my silkie go broody as well, she had two eggs and they did not make it. I took the eggs when she was out of the pen and she didn't see me but she didn't come out for about three days and she still has not layed any more eggs. She wasn't even look at my rooster, she loved my Cojack

Your hen should leave the eggs very soon if they don't hatch, taking care of her chicks is her number one priority. :)

That totally makes sense. She and I both are first timers but she sure seems to know what she's doing more than I do. As soon as one of the eggs pipped yesterday, she got up for a couple of hours and dust bathed, ate and cruise around for the first time in a month. (The first week she was sitting on fake eggs.) I thought she'd finally given up, but nope.

I would like to get some help with that as well. I had my silkie go broody as well, she had two eggs and they did not make it. I took the eggs when she was out of the pen and she didn't see me but she didn't come out for about three days and she still has not layed any more eggs. She wasn't even look at my rooster, she loved my Cojack

It can be a month to six weeks before a hen will resume laying after being broody. I'm sorry your eggs didn't make it. That's always sad.

It can be a month to six weeks before a hen will resume laying after being broody. I'm sorry your eggs didn't make it. That's always sad.
Thank you, I was very sad about the loss of her babies. This was her first time going broody.
Now I've got two ducks that have started laying eggs and not sure what to do about that.

Thank you, I was very sad about the loss of her babies. This was her first time going broody.
Now I've got two ducks that have started laying eggs and not sure what to do about that.

Hopefully next time you will get baby chicks! I was sad that only 2 hatched but so grateful at the same time. Two is definitely better than none. So lucky that your ducks are laying! Mine are 22 weeks and haven't laid yet.

Make sure those eggs aren’t really going to hatch. This morning out of my last two eggs one is cracking and cheeping and the other is silent. I handled it gently and candled it in my bathroom. There was no movement. So I started thinking it was a bad egg since both had been put in the nest at the same time. Later today I check and both are peeping and you can hear taping inside.

Back
Top Bottom