When to retire your roster

Verbon30

Songster
Jul 23, 2019
Lakeland FL
I have a 6 going on 7 year old top hat buff silkie rosters. I know he considered an old rosters but he still acts like a sping chicken. I yet to find a better quality or gentle rosters. I already working on plans on raising up some new rooster from my own flock and building a retirement coop. Will my chicks start to having issues as he get older. I wish to have the perfect rosters to replace him. I bought some SO CALLED SHOW QUALITY BEARDED SILKIE! IThey where not anywhere close to my quality. I got one ok rosters but I had to remove them from my generic pool do to recessive non bearded genes.

Attachments

• 20210128_165605.jpg
    20210128_165605.jpg
    679.5 KB · Views: 2

CluckerFamily

Enabler
5 Years
Feb 14, 2016
Wisconsin
This is a tough choice.
All my flock members will live as long as they wish even if their egg production reduces.
The same goes for my rooster.
How many hens do you have now?
My sister has about 50 hens and 3 roosters. As the roosters age, they will step down from the dominant role but because there are so many hens, there isn’t a lot of fighting.

Verbon30

Songster
Jul 23, 2019
Lakeland FL
I have 12 hens but they are silkies so at even giving time 4 to 6 will be broody. I only have 1 roster but planing to raise 3 rosters up together to keep the fighting down.

Verbon30

Songster
Jul 23, 2019
Lakeland FL
This farmer has a rooster that is growing old, and the farmer decides it’s time to get a new rooster. So he goes down the road to his neighbor Gilroy, and he buys a young rooster. When he gets home,” Skippy was already laughing at his own joke, “he puts the young rooster in the pen. The young rooster struts up to the old rooster and says ‘Hey old-timer, you need to hit the road. This is my place now’. The old rooster says ‘You’re right, it is my time, but I’ll tell you what. Someday you’ll be old, and a young rooster will come along to kick you out. I don’t want the ladies to see me just walk away. Could you chase me around some, we’ll fight for a minute for me to keep my dignity, and then I’ll leave?’ And the young rooster feels sorry for the old one, and says ‘Sure, old-timer, let’s go.’ So the young rooster chases the old rooster around the henhouse, and the farmer comes out to see what the commotion is. He says ‘What the hell?’ He grabs his shotgun and blows the young rooster away. As the old rooster is chuckling, the farmer says ‘Damn Gilroy done sold me a gay rooster’!”

Top Bottom