when to separate cockerals

kaylakian

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 7, 2010
northampton england
hmm.png
i think i may have 2 cockerals they r 6weeks old when do i have to separate them

You may not have to separate them at all. Some cockerels establish a pecking order and that's that, sometimes you'll need about 10 pullets per cock when they're more mature. I don't think it's predictable, unless you're raising fighting chickens.

Not for months yet. If you want to breed for chicks keep them around until they start showing signs of maturity which could cause fighting, and too much action with the hens...and pick one. Unless you don't want to feed an extra roo for months.
One roo and two hens...as long as there are no more roos around him will probably be OK unless he turns out to be overly attentive and overbreeding happens.

HELP!!!!

MY two Rhode Island Reds are 3.5 months old - the more dominate hen CROWED this morning! Not too loud, but crowed nonetheless.... she looks different from the other hen meaning more dominate and she is now actually attacking me and pecking! (pecking started this weekend)

I stop her with my hand out and a loud NO! She backs off - but I am afraid she is a HE!!!!

My BF says she has no spurs so she is a hen...but don't spurs come later? She also has some quills on her head which have not feathered out yet ... my other hen doesn't have that... I cannot keep a rooster so I am not sure what to do - I know hens can crow.... I don't want to get rid of her unless I am sure she's a rooster!!! Can anyone give me any advice? Anyone with RIRs???

Thanks!

Quote:
I would suggest you post pics. Yes spurs come later and it sounds like you have yourself a roo.
hmm.png

P.S. I would suggest you start your own thread in the what breed/gender category of the forum for your pics and help identifying your birds. If you don't know how to post pics, you can read the FAQs page in the forum announcements section or PM me and I will be glad to help you out. Welcome to BYC!
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
My LF cockerels started trying to mate the pullets at 10 weeks old (early for brahmas). It was a free for all, like a high school boys locker room.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom