When to set my eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Swissmiss989, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Swissmiss989

Swissmiss989 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    I have two sets of eggs I ordered by mail. My 1st came in today my others will come tomorrow. I seen a few dark areas in my 1st batch and im not sure if I should put them in the incubator or if I should wait for tomorrow evening to put them all in at once any advice? The eggs are silkie eggs!

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

You should let the eggs settle on the counter (room temp) I let them settle for 12 hours before I put them in the bator. You see a few dark areas in the eggs?
    [​IMG]

3. Swissmiss989

Jun 5, 2011
    Yea my eggs are dark inside (only 2 or 3 of them) maybe they were hot in shipping? But should I put both sets of eggs in together or can I put my 1st set in and tomorrow (when they come) put in the 2nd set?

4. greenscape

greenscape Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2009
    I would wait until I have all the eggs. Candle them and discard the ones that aren't clear.
    I let mine set for a few hours in a warm place. IE what's the temp in your house compared to the 99 in the incubator? If you keep it around -75 I'd find a warmer place to let them set.
    Also you do have the bator already set and at right temp?

5. Swissmiss989

Jun 5, 2011
    Yes I have it running and I keep watching it for possable adjustments. So far so good on the temp inside the incubater.

6. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:Normally that's what I'd say too, but it seems with the heat there's been recently in some places that a lot of people's shipped eggs have been starting to develop in transit and then going on to hatch out a day or two early. I think I'd probably mark the eggs with dark spots in them but put them in the bator anyway. Then keep a close eye on them when candling till I could figure out if it was embryos in there or something not so nice...

7. Swissmiss989

Jun 5, 2011
    Quote:Normally that's what I'd say too, but it seems with the heat there's been recently in some places that a lot of people's shipped eggs have been starting to develop in transit and then going on to hatch out a day or two early. I think I'd probably mark the eggs with dark spots in them but put them in the bator anyway. Then keep a close eye on them when candling till I could figure out if it was embryos in there or something not so nice...

That's a good idea. Putting eggs in a day appart wouldn't hurt would it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by