When to shut light off?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by victor1800, Oct 29, 2011.

1. victor1800

victor1800 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    At what age do you shut light off in your barn brooder?I have 15 three week old chicks just wondering when I could turn light off when they are outside in barn?

2. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Three weeks is a bit young to be without a heatlamp outside. Especially in CT. I dunno about you up there but we have about 5 inches of snow on the ground. I lowered the heatlamp for my fourteen 6 week old chicks and closed them inside the coop today and it's still only registering 48 degrees in there.

The general rule is that you wait until they are fully feathered out (usually between 6 and 8 weeks) and then you gradually adjust them to lower temps by turning the lamp only on at night at first and then for shorter periods until they are acclimatized to the outside temps.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  3. victor1800

Apr 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Thanks ,I am going to put them out at about 5 weeks old and put light on a timer. Then I may put the light on overnight when it is real cold. Funny I post this today and I go to check on my chickies and find them all quiet and huddled together because the brooder lamp bulb burned out!

4. victor1800

Apr 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    power is going on and off from snow storm!

5. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    i would keep the heat on them till they are about 6 weeks or fully feathered...its cold out for them to be outside right now while they are so young....

6. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

With no generator they need to be inside. I wouldnt have them without heat until they are fully feathered out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by