When to start chicken grit?

They need sand or chick sized grit from the store as soon as they start eating anything besides chick starter feed. If you free range them or pen them on the ground they will pick up their own sand.

I don't think they can use adult sized grit until 10 weeks (the bag I have says sized for chickens 10 weeks and older)

Last year, my first with chicks, I gave provided free choice grit at about a week old. I plan to do the same this year.

I used chick grit last year until they were 12 weeks old. Then I switched to #2 size grit. They sell it in four sizes. #1 is for chicks. #2 is for all of chickens over 12 weeks old. #3 is for large/standard breeds when they reach full size. #4 is for turkeys. I selected #2 so that I could buy 1 50 lb bag. It was only $9.00. The people at the feed store said this size was fine for their entire life (after 12 weeks). So far I have used maybe 1/4 of the bag for my 15 pullets. They are almost 1 year old. I suspect this bag will last me at least another year even though I am adding 25 more chicks this year.

I started giving Chick Grit whenever I began introducing other foods besides their starter...They had special grit just for chicks up to 10 weeks at my local TCS.

Quote:
Yup, I just picked some up at TSC yesterday and it was on clearance
thumbsup.gif

I give my week-old Goldens a small pinch of polenta (medium corn meal) along with a pinch of fine sand from the run they will eventually be in. They don't get much, but they enjoy pecking and scratching for it in the brooder. It gives them something to do, and fine sand works great for them. Their little gizzards aren't very big at this point but it is there, and anything that goes through it besides chick starter requires grit.

My opinion only, and based upon what I have read, starting your chicks on a bit of grit right off the bat will virtually guarantee they never develop "sour crop" and several other digestive problems. As long as they have good "though-put", feed 'em!

wink.png

Back
Top Bottom