When to start counting the days

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by OldMcContri, Feb 26, 2015.

1. OldMcContri

OldMcContri Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2014
    One of my buffs began sitting on 4 eggs last Sunday (2/15) and fulltime the following Tuesday, It was either Tuesday or Monday not quite sure. The question I have is when do I start counting the days for her to hatch them? I do have a rooster and he has been quite frisky the last month.

2. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    You would start counting when she starts regularly sitting on them. Also the 21 days isn't a schedule they have to stick to. They can come a day or two early or late.

3. OldMcContri

May 29, 2014
    Thank you Odelia. I did read about the variance in hatching schedule so I am not expecting them on a certain day. I just didn't want to be thinking that she is sitting on them too long.

4. OldMcContri

May 29, 2014
    I have a rooster, however I am not sure if the eggs she is sitting on are fertilized. I candled them tonight and the air sac is bigger than they were, but since the shells are a dark tan, I can see a little of the light shining through but nothing is really dark inside the egg.There is no smell coming from the eggs and I can see an outline of the yolk inside which seems to be a little large than they usually are when I candle one from my fridge. Could these be duds and if so what should I do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by