When to start grit?

ktornadoes

Songster
6 Years
May 19, 2015
Ohio River Rat
My chicks turned one week old yesterday. I have read many different opinions of when to start grit? The only thing I've given my chicks to eat so far is chick starter feed. Any suggestions would be helpful...Thanks!

My chicks turned one week old yesterday. I have read many different opinions of when to start grit? The only thing I've given my chicks to eat so far is chick starter feed. Any suggestions would be helpful...Thanks!

Grit is only needed if/when your birds will begin eating anything in other than water soluble poultry ration.

When can my chicks begin eating anything other than water soluble poultry ration? Sorry for the lack of knowledge...first time raising chicks.

When can my chicks begin eating anything other than water soluble poultry ration? Sorry for the lack of knowledge...first time raising chicks.

No need to apologize - everyone has to start from the same place when doing something new
wink.png
You'll get a lot of answers to this question, but the way *I* look at it is that chicks being raised by a broody would be learning about, sampling and quite enjoying a variety of food stuffs from the first time their mother took them off the nest and out into the big bad world where she would begin teaching them about all the tasty treasures there are to eat. With this in mind, there is no real reason not to feed treats, etc. from the very beginning as long as you a) provide girt as appropriate and b) don't overindulge them to the point that their overall diet becomes imbalanced as poultry ration really is the best thing for supporting their growth and development. Generally speaking, you want "treats" (anything other than their starter/grower) to be no more than 10% of their total intake, and I aim for far less than that.

As early as you want as long as grit is available. The caveat to this is you only want to feed a tiny amount, like less than 5% of their total diet. Their chick feed has the proper balance of nutrients etc that they need for proper development and altering the amount that they are consuming significantly can hinder proper development. So the occasional treat is ok, but keep it light until they are fully matured.

I personally like to wait for 2 weeks to make sure they are eating and drinking well, it helps me gauge their interest in food etc. If they are eating and gaining and doing well, I then start grit and do things like, fodder (a good subject to look up) and trips outside to forage and yogurt and watermelon if it is warm out or cooked and cooled oatmeal or ground up meal worms or mashed up boiled egg yolks. all are great treats.

Thanks for the advice everyone...very helpful! When I start my chicks on grit, what is the best way to administer it? Just sprinkle some in their food?

Thanks for the advice everyone...very helpful!  When I start my chicks on grit, what is the best way to administer it?  Just sprinkle some in their food?

In my case my brooder bedding material is sand. Other options are a small dish of sand, or chick grit from a farm store etc. other options are a clump of sod with dirt and roots and all still attached. Dirt does have grit in it, though your soil type will determine how much but it's probably adequate.

Back
Top Bottom