When to start grit?

I started grit when I started them on things that were non-chick feed (they still get their starter feed). I give them spinach, meal worms, etc. as treats, so that's when they need the grit. I just sprinkle it on top of their chick feed.

Also, on an unrelated note, nice to see a Bengals' fan. I am a huge fan, as well, and looking forward to a better end to next season.
hmm.png

The TSC in Rock Hill had some, so I sprinkled a little in their feed and amongst the bedding, which they have begun to scratch and peck at. I also put a small pile next to their feeder. Now I can start giving them some treats and training them to accept me as a friend. And I'm sure it can only help the digestion of even their chick crumbles.

That's an individual decision, with no right or wrong answer. I can tell you my preference: I use non medicated. Coccidiosis is in all environments, and sooner or later your birds will be exposed to it. My preference is to get them exposed to the bugs they will encounter in my yard during the first 2 weeks when their immunity from their mom is the strongest. I do this by putting a plug of soil from my yard into their brooder. It gives them: a healthy dose of microbes to kick start their guts, their first exposure to coccidiosis so they can start building immunity, some insects, worms, seeds, greens, minerals, and grit. As well as their first dust bath and an infinite amount of entertainment.

That's an individual decision, with no right or wrong answer.  I can tell you my preference:  I use non medicated.  Coccidiosis is in all environments, and sooner or later your birds will be exposed to it.  My preference is to get them exposed to the bugs they will encounter in my yard during the first 2 weeks when their immunity from their mom is the strongest.  I do this by putting a plug of soil from my yard into their brooder.  It gives them: a healthy dose of microbes to kick start their guts, their first exposure to coccidiosis so they can start building immunity, some insects, worms, seeds, greens, minerals, and grit.  As well as their first dust bath and an infinite amount of entertainment.  

X2

Has anyone else found adding grit to the diet to help relieve pasty butt? Once I started giving it to my chicks they haven't had an issue since. I offer a small handful every couple days. This is my first year with them so it is all an experiment but I started my chicks with grit at 1 week and started my ducks right away. But I also feed hardboiled egg every few days and will be introducing more to them soon :) I also went with unmedicated feed, this was reccomended to me by every person i ran into saying a small controlled flock has a low risk of infection that the problem tends to happen more in larger scale facilities. And as soon as my snow melts again I plan to throw some dirt in there. My peeps told me they wanted roosts young so at one week they got sticks from the yard and I put the water up on Brinks from outside. I assumed the same as above slow introduction to allow immunity.
1f425.png
1f425.png

Thanks for this thread. I had to change out their bedding this morning as the little buggers had dumped the waterer. I put in new bedding and fresh water, and a lump of dirt for them to explore.

At a week old we put a bit of sod in with them. Our soil has a lot of fine sand in it. They enjoy the grass treat, the natural grit, scratching it apart, and taking little dirt baths in it. They also get matural digestive support from the microbes in the soil.

I guess once my snow is gone I will give them a chunk of sod also. How high should I put the perch? I was just going to make one out of some wood I have laying around?

Back
Top Bottom