When to start heaters and heat lamps??

MCreery

In the Brooder
May 29, 2020
Dallas GA
Good morning, our temperatures have dropped quite a bit this last week, from 70s at night to 50-55 for the next few forecasted weeks. Highs around 70 each day. I know they don't need it now but at what point should I start winterizing their coop/yard. I have 6 (1 roo and 5 hens that are 7 months old), then have a second coop in the works for 3 silkies arriving in November. Just curious on the temperatures to start adding heat. Thanks

There are a ton of factors that come into play.
Where in the world are you located?
Size of coop?
Breeds of birds?

My thoughts on adding heat....
Properly acclimated birds grow extra feathers to accommodate the cold. They don't need heat as their feathers trap their body heat to keep them warm. Adding heat discourages the feather growth and if power goes out or the heat source fails they are hit hard by it since they aren't prepared.
A properly ventilated coop means air exchange which makes heating virtually moot.

Then there is the risk of burns and fires.
Totally not worth the risk.

The only places people actually NEED to add heat are those living in the extreme climates where temps go WAY below zero and stay there.

I am wondering the same thing as a new chicken mom. I have 7 week old chicks (1 Bielefelder, 3 Wyandotte, 3 Crevecoeur) that have been in their outdoor coop for one week. It's been pretty cold here (Rochester NY) in the evening, but comfortable (70's) during the day. I have been temporarily using a heat lamp at night-- hung above (but not too close to) the coop window. I know my chicks are cold because they all cram up against the wall facing the lamp (completely ignoring the 3 roosts available to them). We typically get our 1st snow in late Oct. and I am worried that my use of the lamp could be interfering with their natural acclimation to the weather and could delay the timing of their first molt. Should I just let nature take over and allow them to adapt on their own? Also, should I purchase a Sweeter Heater or Cozy Coop for those nights when it gets below zero? Which one would you most recommend and why? Thank you for any insight you can provide.

I was so with you when I started chickens 15 years ago. I was making the mistake of worrying about keeping chickens warm. Since childhood we have been taught, close the door, trap the heat in.

And that is the wrong worry. Do not worry about keeping them warm, worry about keeping them DRY. Dry chickens are warm chickens.

To keep them dry, and thereby keeping them warm, you need to have deep dry bedding on the floor. You need to either remove dropping by using a poop board, or sprinkle the bedding with scratch once a week so the birds turn the bedding and break up the manure, drying it out.

You need to look at the position of the roosts. They should be placed so that birds have about 15 inches ABOVE their heads, away from the ceiling. And placed so that a bird is not right next to the wall. If too close to the ceiling or wall, their breath will collect on the wall or ceiling and rain down on them.

You need a lot of ventilation above their heads. You want the warm moist air to leave the coop, warm air naturally rises and will escape and not collect on the birds. The coop should act as a wind break, not a warm spot. A place to get out of the wind, that is dry is warm for chickens.

I also set up a wind break in the coop, a place to get out of the wind. I do hook some shower doors to it, so they have a little sun porch. But it is open on both sides.

I live in western SD, and we are frequently below 0, often -10 to -20, and a couple of years ago, -35 which is very, very cold. Healthy, well fed birds, came through that just fine.

The chance of fire is real, beware.

Mrs K

This is my first winter...we got them March 1 and it was cold but they were inside my "shed" in a brooder for 6 weeks and had a heat lamp for first 3 weeks. Then only had it on at night for 2 more weeks. By the time they were 5 weeks I didn't have any heat on them. But they huddled up as babies right right under it. It hasn't been cold since April so haven't used anything. I did by one of those heaters that can go in the coop. I only put heat lamps in areas where it safe. But If I was in NY I know I would use a lot of covered protection and heaters at night in the coop. I'm also going to use additional coverings, tarps and plywood to block off more of their yard from cold. Then they can use their own body heat but not be fully exposed to the potential cold. I'm sure others will have better advise.

I am wondering the same thing as a new chicken mom. I have 7 week old chicks (1 Bielefelder, 3 Wyandotte, 3 Crevecoeur) that have been in their outdoor coop for one week. It's been pretty cold here (Rochester NY) in the evening, but comfortable (70's) during the day. I have been temporarily using a heat lamp at night-- hung above (but not too close to) the coop window. I know my chicks are cold because they all cram up against the wall facing the lamp (completely ignoring the 3 roosts available to them). We typically get our 1st snow in late Oct. and I am worried that my use of the lamp could be interfering with their natural acclimation to the weather and could delay the timing of their first molt. Should I just let nature take over and allow them to adapt on their own? Also, should I purchase a Sweeter Heater or Cozy Coop for those nights when it gets below zero? Which one would you most recommend and why? Thank you for any insight you can provide.

Please clarify for me.....

You have 7 chicks. They are one week old? Or you have 7 chicks that are 7 weeks old?

At one week old they must have supplied heat as they are not feathered. Heated spot to warm up during the day as well as at night.

At 7 weeks old they can be acclimating. Be prepared to offer some minimal heating if you suddenly drop below freezing. Being young going into winter they won't have much body mass yet.

Please post pics of the chicks so we can help confirm age.

This is my first winter...we got them March 1 and it was cold but they were inside my "shed" in a brooder for 6 weeks and had a heat lamp for first 3 weeks. Then only had it on at night for 2 more weeks. By the time they were 5 weeks I didn't have any heat on them. But they huddled up as babies right right under it. It hasn't been cold since April so haven't used anything. I did by one of those heaters that can go in the coop. I only put heat lamps in areas where it safe. But If I was in NY I know I would use a lot of covered protection and heaters at night in the coop. I'm also going to use additional coverings, tarps and plywood to block off more of their yard from cold. Then they can use their own body heat but not be fully exposed to the potential cold. I'm sure others will have better advise.

I'm north of you, in Ontario, and let me confirm what others are saying... you do NOT need a heat source if your coop is draft proof and dry. Temps regularly get to -20c/-4f here and as long as your not keeping unfeathered chicks, they're fine. The heater is more necessary for your comfort, not your chickens survival. As long as they are properly fed, they'll do fine.

Please clarify for me.....

You have 7 chicks. They are one week old? Or you have 7 chicks that are 7 weeks old?

At one week old they must have supplied heat as they are not feathered. Heated spot to warm up during the day as well as at night.

At 7 weeks old they can be acclimating. Be prepared to offer some minimal heating if you suddenly drop below freezing. Being young going into winter they won't have much body mass yet.

Please post pics of the chicks so we can help confirm age.

Clarification: I have 7 chicks that are 7 weeks old and fully feathered. They have been in their outdoor run for 1 week. It's a large under-deck run, with water-tight roofing and lattice over 1/4 inch hardware cloth for draft protection. The coop is a pre-fab boxed one from Tractor Supply. I converted it slightly (removed nesting boxes & replaced with an additional roost) to provide more space. I will be insulating the enclosed roosting area w/ reflective mylar when the weather gets colder and will also add some tarp to the north facing wall of the run. I have a dryer vent that adds warmth, too. I sometimes run it in the early AM just to warm things up a bit. So is this enough to get my girls (and 1 boy) through the winter, or should I add a coop heater for below zero temps?

Back
Top Bottom